ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 516 Old 29-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
SteveD GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Images: 10
Thumbs Up ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!!

My GT 2.0L JTS has been idling a bit rough recently, and it felt like a few of my horses had flown south for the winter. In addition, my climate insisted on only blowing hot air, no matter what temp I dialled in.

Having trawled through various threads, the ECU reset fix was mentioned several times as a cure for both symptoms.

So, today being a quiet day in the Christmas break, I decided to attempt the ECU and throttle re-set procedure -which is as follows if you haven't seen in other threads :

1. Disconnect battery for 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

So I did this, and my GT is reborn ! Faster, smoother, more torqier, even idle - it's bloody fantastic ! I can't believe how different the whole car feels.

It nearly cured the climate problem (well it blows a bit cooler) so if anyone has any tips on how to fix, let me know.

But the cherry on the icing on the cake was something I didn't expect, it seems to have cured my 'stepping' drivers window problem that I had given up on !!

Now the driver's window goes up and down as smoothly as the proverbial baby's bum.

So, if you're thinking of trying the ECU/Throttle reset and you have a hour or two on your hands this festive break, give it a go - it might work miracles for you to !

alfamily and eric cork34 like this.
SteveD GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
THANKS i haven't heard of that.
bushedout is offline  
Status: Loving the GT 3.2 V6 :-)
AO Silver Member
 
Chris M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oxfordshire
My 156 JTS is idling a bit roughly, especially with the climate/aircon on. Will give this a try when it's a bit warmer and drier outside to see if it improves things.....

Thanks for posting this.
Chris M is offline  
 
Status: cant beleive the attention this car brings.
AO Member
 
chriswizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
does it work on the JTD engines too, as mine performs o.k, but ticks over a bit rough, also when ticking over it smells a bit rich at the exhaust, not sure if thats normal or not, as only had the car two weeks.
chriswizz is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
When I did it on my 2.0 TS it was a complete disaster but in a good way. I had my doubts about the MAF so did the reset and, following the reset, it packed up completely. New MAF, job done.
 
Status: Paternal
AO Silver Member
 
Simon_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Images: 5
Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD GT View Post
It nearly cured the climate problem (well it blows a bit cooler) so if anyone has any tips on how to fix, let me know.
To reset the climate control:
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Wait five minutes
  3. Reconnect battery
  4. Wait five minutes - ignition OFF. You'll hear the air control flaps operating during this time - this is a self-calibration routine and gets buggered up if you switch on too soon - wait for silence.
Hope it works for you, cheers,
Simon
Simon_S is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
reaper75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
hi there, i have a 156 2.0ts and although its idling ok it just doesn't have any get up and go, had the car four weeks now and i'm already smitten. the book says 165bhp but it definately feels alot less. do you think this would work to put the sting back in its tail? and if anyone has any other suggestions could you please please help me?
reaper75 is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 516 Old 30-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
SteveD GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
To reset the climate control:
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Wait five minutes
  3. Reconnect battery
  4. Wait five minutes - ignition OFF. You'll hear the air control flaps operating during this time - this is a self-calibration routine and gets buggered up if you switch on too soon - wait for silence.
Hope it works for you, cheers,
Simon
Thanks Simon - that's tomorrow's project sorted !

Will let you know how I got on.
SteveD GT is offline  
Status: Getting There
AO Member
 
Deemac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswizz View Post
does it work on the JTD engines too, as mine performs o.k, but ticks over a bit rough, also when ticking over it smells a bit rich at the exhaust, not sure if thats normal or not, as only had the car two weeks.
Made quite a difference on mine so worth doing IMO.

Just make sure you have the radio code if yours needs one.
Deemac is offline  
Status: Chillin
AO Silver Member
 
Chocoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD GT View Post
My GT 2.0L JTS has been idling a bit rough recently, and it felt like a few of my horses had flown south for the winter. In addition, my climate insisted on only blowing hot air, no matter what temp I dialled in.

Having trawled through various threads, the ECU reset fix was mentioned several times as a cure for both symptoms.

So, today being a quiet day in the Christmas break, I decided to attempt the ECU and throttle re-set procedure -which is as follows if you haven't seen in other threads :

1. Disconnect battery for 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

So I did this, and my GT is reborn ! Faster, smoother, more torqier, even idle - it's bloody fantastic ! I can't believe how different the whole car feels.

It nearly cured the climate problem (well it blows a bit cooler) so if anyone has any tips on how to fix, let me know.

But the cherry on the icing on the cake was something I didn't expect, it seems to have cured my 'stepping' drivers window problem that I had given up on !!

Now the driver's window goes up and down as smoothly as the proverbial baby's bum.

So, if you're thinking of trying the ECU/Throttle reset and you have a hour or two on your hands this festive break, give it a go - it might work miracles for you to !

Is this the same for all Alfas i have a 2002 156 1.8TS
Chocoboy is offline  
Status: turbo powwa
AO Silver Member
 
celadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper75 View Post
hi there, i have a 156 2.0ts and although its idling ok it just doesn't have any get up and go, had the car four weeks now and i'm already smitten. the book says 165bhp but it definately feels alot less. do you think this would work to put the sting back in its tail? and if anyone has any other suggestions could you please please help me?
Are you sure about those figures, I'm sure the 2.0 has 155 on the 156 ....
And it depends on the engine/year.
If its a JTS expect it to be down a bit, possibly as low as 140.
celadon is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norway
County: Hordaland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD GT View Post
My GT 2.0L JTS has been idling a bit rough recently, and it felt like a few of my horses had flown south for the winter. In addition, my climate insisted on only blowing hot air, no matter what temp I dialled in.

Having trawled through various threads, the ECU reset fix was mentioned several times as a cure for both symptoms.

So, today being a quiet day in the Christmas break, I decided to attempt the ECU and throttle re-set procedure -which is as follows if you haven't seen in other threads :

1. Disconnect battery for 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

So I did this, and my GT is reborn ! Faster, smoother, more torqier, even idle - it's bloody fantastic ! I can't believe how different the whole car feels.

It nearly cured the climate problem (well it blows a bit cooler) so if anyone has any tips on how to fix, let me know.

But the cherry on the icing on the cake was something I didn't expect, it seems to have cured my 'stepping' drivers window problem that I had given up on !!

Now the driver's window goes up and down as smoothly as the proverbial baby's bum.

So, if you're thinking of trying the ECU/Throttle reset and you have a hour or two on your hands this festive break, give it a go - it might work miracles for you to !

Does this work for the JTD as well?
acoustic is offline  
Status: Getting There
AO Member
 
Deemac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
Does this work for the JTD as well?
Yes
Deemac is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
reaper75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Not a hundred percent sure no, think it was off autotrader site info. and i think i heard it somewhere else too but no sure where, lol. but then even at 155bhp it doesn't feel like i'm getting enough. Let me put it another way, i previously owned a citreon xantia 1.8sxi, with 115bhp, [sshhh, dont tell no one], and as much as this pains me to say, i reckon a head to head race would be very close. i love my alfa and it deserves to be right. so i'm gonna try this ecu reset and hope for success. also how will i be able to find out what bhp mine has really got? its 2001 model.
reaper75 is offline  
Status: Just when you thought it was safe mwahaha ;)
AO Gold Member
 
Alfa-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper75 View Post
Not a hundred percent sure no, think it was off autotrader site info. and i think i heard it somewhere else too but no sure where, lol. but then even at 155bhp it doesn't feel like i'm getting enough. Let me put it another way, i previously owned a citreon xantia 1.8sxi, with 115bhp, [sshhh, dont tell no one], and as much as this pains me to say, i reckon a head to head race would be very close. i love my alfa and it deserves to be right. so i'm gonna try this ecu reset and hope for success. also how will i be able to find out what bhp mine has really got? its 2001 model.
the later 2.0 twinnys were 150, early ones were 155, and only the jts is "supposed" to be 165

2001 would be 150 dodgy mafs sap power
Alfa-Red is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Does this work on my 147?

Will it reset my Airbag light?
matt1002 is offline  
Status: Just when you thought it was safe mwahaha ;)
AO Gold Member
 
Alfa-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1002 View Post
Does this work on my 147?

Will it reset my Airbag light?
yes and no
Alfa-Red is offline  
Status: Symbol
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Sussex
Re ECU reset

Does anyone know whether this will work on a 98 GTV 2.0TS?
Car is running a bit sluggishly lately, also have warning lights on for water levels, ABS. Probably more to do with car being knackered, but if this will work on mine it'll be worth a go!

Ta.
RobD666 is offline  
Status: FOUR YEARS CANCER FREE !! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Garage
SteveD GT

I'm in that very sceptical camp as well.Just got my '99 156 2l TS back after having it's ECU/Code/Keys reprogrammed by Gus.However the car was a bit sluggish and needed to be full pedalled to get any response out of it.

I didn't want to mess around with taking the battery off after the reprogramming....so I just did the throttle reset....and do you know what......it bloody works !

The cars far more responsive....I'm away out for another spin now....hope i haven't spoken too soon.

Thanks everyone who's posted !!

PS And a big thankyou to Gus aka ALFATUNER
ronan is offline  
Status: GT sold :-(
AO Member
 
Willber G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Images: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
...so I just did the throttle reset...
How do you do this?
Willber G is offline  
Status: Just when you thought it was safe mwahaha ;)
AO Gold Member
 
Alfa-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
How do you do this?
top of page but here

1. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 45 minutes. Some people recommend overnight but that is not really necessary.
2. Reconnect the battery negative lead
3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins
7. Start the car and take her for a blast


Note:
normal bold text = ECU Reset
bold and italic and underlined = Throttle reset
tonywah likes this.




At the big scrapyard in the sky:
Mk2 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8vStilo Schumacher GP147 1.6 TS LussoMk1 Punto Sporting 1.2 16v156 1.8 TS Lusso

On the 8th day God created BMW, on the 9th day, he traded it in for an Alfa Romeo :evillaugh:


Alfa-Red is offline  
Status: GT sold :-(
AO Member
 
Willber G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Images: 26
Thanks Alfa-Red, I might try this.
Willber G is offline  
Status: FOUR YEARS CANCER FREE !! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Garage
Yeh, just as Alfa Red says....start from number three for a throttle reset only.....from number one for both ecu and throttle reset.

Just back from another " needless " drive......still as fresh as ever.....yee ha !
ronan is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Galway
just the negative lead or both should be disconnected?
korio is offline  
Status: FOUR YEARS CANCER FREE !! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Garage
negative only
ronan is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome