ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 516 Old 29-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Thumbs Up ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!!

My GT 2.0L JTS has been idling a bit rough recently, and it felt like a few of my horses had flown south for the winter. In addition, my climate insisted on only blowing hot air, no matter what temp I dialled in.

Having trawled through various threads, the ECU reset fix was mentioned several times as a cure for both symptoms.

So, today being a quiet day in the Christmas break, I decided to attempt the ECU and throttle re-set procedure -which is as follows if you haven't seen in other threads :

1. Disconnect battery for 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

So I did this, and my GT is reborn ! Faster, smoother, more torqier, even idle - it's bloody fantastic ! I can't believe how different the whole car feels.

It nearly cured the climate problem (well it blows a bit cooler) so if anyone has any tips on how to fix, let me know.

But the cherry on the icing on the cake was something I didn't expect, it seems to have cured my 'stepping' drivers window problem that I had given up on !!

Now the driver's window goes up and down as smoothly as the proverbial baby's bum.

So, if you're thinking of trying the ECU/Throttle reset and you have a hour or two on your hands this festive break, give it a go - it might work miracles for you to !

alfamily and eric cork34 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

THANKS i haven't heard of that.
AO Silver Member

My 156 JTS is idling a bit roughly, especially with the climate/aircon on. Will give this a try when it's a bit warmer and drier outside to see if it improves things.....

Thanks for posting this.

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
does it work on the JTD engines too, as mine performs o.k, but ticks over a bit rough, also when ticking over it smells a bit rich at the exhaust, not sure if thats normal or not, as only had the car two weeks.
keithyboy

When I did it on my 2.0 TS it was a complete disaster but in a good way. I had my doubts about the MAF so did the reset and, following the reset, it packed up completely. New MAF, job done.

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD GT View Post
It nearly cured the climate problem (well it blows a bit cooler) so if anyone has any tips on how to fix, let me know.
To reset the climate control:
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Wait five minutes
  3. Reconnect battery
  4. Wait five minutes - ignition OFF. You'll hear the air control flaps operating during this time - this is a self-calibration routine and gets buggered up if you switch on too soon - wait for silence.
Hope it works for you, cheers,
Simon

County: Kent
hi there, i have a 156 2.0ts and although its idling ok it just doesn't have any get up and go, had the car four weeks now and i'm already smitten. the book says 165bhp but it definately feels alot less. do you think this would work to put the sting back in its tail? and if anyone has any other suggestions could you please please help me?
(Post Link) post #8 of 516 Old 30-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
To reset the climate control:
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Wait five minutes
  3. Reconnect battery
  4. Wait five minutes - ignition OFF. You'll hear the air control flaps operating during this time - this is a self-calibration routine and gets buggered up if you switch on too soon - wait for silence.
Hope it works for you, cheers,
Simon
Thanks Simon - that's tomorrow's project sorted !

Will let you know how I got on.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswizz View Post
does it work on the JTD engines too, as mine performs o.k, but ticks over a bit rough, also when ticking over it smells a bit rich at the exhaust, not sure if thats normal or not, as only had the car two weeks.
Made quite a difference on mine so worth doing IMO.

Just make sure you have the radio code if yours needs one.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
My GT 2.0L JTS has been idling a bit rough recently, and it felt like a few of my horses had flown south for the winter. In addition, my climate insisted on only blowing hot air, no matter what temp I dialled in.

Having trawled through various threads, the ECU reset fix was mentioned several times as a cure for both symptoms.

So, today being a quiet day in the Christmas break, I decided to attempt the ECU and throttle re-set procedure -which is as follows if you haven't seen in other threads :

4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

So I did this, and my GT is reborn ! Faster, smoother, more torqier, even idle - it's bloody fantastic ! I can't believe how different the whole car feels.

But the cherry on the icing on the cake was something I didn't expect, it seems to have cured my 'stepping' drivers window problem that I had given up on !!

Now the driver's window goes up and down as smoothly as the proverbial baby's bum.

So, if you're thinking of trying the ECU/Throttle reset and you have a hour or two on your hands this festive break, give it a go - it might work miracles for you to !

Is this the same for all Alfas i have a 2002 156 1.8TS
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper75 View Post
hi there, i have a 156 2.0ts and although its idling ok it just doesn't have any get up and go, had the car four weeks now and i'm already smitten. the book says 165bhp but it definately feels alot less. do you think this would work to put the sting back in its tail? and if anyone has any other suggestions could you please please help me?
Are you sure about those figures, I'm sure the 2.0 has 155 on the 156 ....
And it depends on the engine/year.
If its a JTS expect it to be down a bit, possibly as low as 140.

County: Hordaland
Quote:

Does this work for the JTD as well?
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
Does this work for the JTD as well?
Yes

Not a hundred percent sure no, think it was off autotrader site info. and i think i heard it somewhere else too but no sure where, lol. but then even at 155bhp it doesn't feel like i'm getting enough. Let me put it another way, i previously owned a citreon xantia 1.8sxi, with 115bhp, [sshhh, dont tell no one], and as much as this pains me to say, i reckon a head to head race would be very close. i love my alfa and it deserves to be right. so i'm gonna try this ecu reset and hope for success. also how will i be able to find out what bhp mine has really got? its 2001 model.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper75 View Post
Not a hundred percent sure no, think it was off autotrader site info. and i think i heard it somewhere else too but no sure where, lol. but then even at 155bhp it doesn't feel like i'm getting enough. Let me put it another way, i previously owned a citreon xantia 1.8sxi, with 115bhp, [sshhh, dont tell no one], and as much as this pains me to say, i reckon a head to head race would be very close. i love my alfa and it deserves to be right. so i'm gonna try this ecu reset and hope for success. also how will i be able to find out what bhp mine has really got? its 2001 model.
the later 2.0 twinnys were 150, early ones were 155, and only the jts is "supposed" to be 165

2001 would be 150 dodgy mafs sap power
AO Member

Does this work on my 147?

Will it reset my Airbag light?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1002 View Post
Does this work on my 147?

Will it reset my Airbag light?
yes and no

County: East Sussex
Re ECU reset

Does anyone know whether this will work on a 98 GTV 2.0TS?
Car is running a bit sluggishly lately, also have warning lights on for water levels, ABS. Probably more to do with car being knackered, but if this will work on mine it'll be worth a go!

Ta.
AO Silver Member

County: Down
Garage
SteveD GT

I'm in that very sceptical camp as well.Just got my '99 156 2l TS back after having it's ECU/Code/Keys reprogrammed by Gus.However the car was a bit sluggish and needed to be full pedalled to get any response out of it.

I didn't want to mess around with taking the battery off after the reprogramming....so I just did the throttle reset....and do you know what......it bloody works !

The cars far more responsive....I'm away out for another spin now....hope i haven't spoken too soon.

Thanks everyone who's posted !!

PS And a big thankyou to Gus aka ALFATUNER
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
...so I just did the throttle reset...
How do you do this?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
How do you do this?
top of page but here

1. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 45 minutes. Some people recommend overnight but that is not really necessary.
2. Reconnect the battery negative lead
3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins
7. Start the car and take her for a blast

Note:
normal bold text = ECU Reset
bold and italic and underlined = Throttle reset
tonywah likes this.

At the big scrapyard in the sky:
Mk2 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8vStilo Schumacher GP147 1.6 TS LussoMk1 Punto Sporting 1.2 16v156 1.8 TS Lusso

On the 8th day God created BMW, on the 9th day, he traded it in for an Alfa Romeo :evillaugh:

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Thanks Alfa-Red, I might try this.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Yeh, just as Alfa Red says....start from number three for a throttle reset only.....from number one for both ecu and throttle reset.

Just back from another " needless " drive......still as fresh as ever.....yee ha !
AO Member

County: Galway
just the negative lead or both should be disconnected?
AO Silver Member

Garage
negative only

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset