ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes

AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pararider View Post
Sonic Vi Point taken ...........But i did state that i am getting tested!!!!!!!!!
Lol oh yeah didn't spot that

was generally aimed at everyone who has had an EML on and wants it to go away free lol

If you'd have been closer i would have lent you my alfa diag to see what it was
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

You never know it may be cheaper to move nearer than get it repaired !!!!!! I will post my good or bad news. Thanx
x2 front Lamda sensors (150 squid), new set plugs (70 squid)......diagnostic stated to much fuel.......:-(((((

Last edited by Pararider; 29-03-10 at 15:55.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-Red View Post
top of page but here

1. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 45 minutes. Some people recommend overnight but that is not really necessary.
2. Reconnect the battery negative lead
3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins
7. Start the car and take her for a blast

Note:
normal bold text = ECU Reset
bold and italic and underlined = Throttle reset

will the code from the key be lost as in remote central locking alarm etc ????? think my car needs this doing

AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan 007 View Post
will the code from the key be lost as in remote central locking alarm etc ????? think my car needs this doing
Hi
I reset mine....key and alarm was okay afterwards.:-)
alfa1and1forall

Reset mine (147 52 plate) whilst replacing battery after old battery died, thought I might as well. Worked, no key codes required for Connect+ afterwards. Combined ECU reset (SteveD_GT) with Air Con reset (Simon_S). All ok, car power seems better.

No-one warned me that clock would need resetting though. Outrageous, you selfish bunch!

Cheers all.

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Hi all, i am going to do an ecu reset on my 156 jtd today but after reading that you need to turn your ignition onto MAR for 90secs i am confused as what the MAR is, is it the first turn of the key or the second where all the lights come on the dash???
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peej1981 View Post
Hi all, i am going to do an ecu reset on my 156 jtd today but after reading that you need to turn your ignition onto MAR for 90secs i am confused as what the MAR is, is it the first turn of the key or the second where all the lights come on the dash???
MAR is where all the dash lights come on but does not start

if you look on your ignition barrel it should say MAR on there

Russ
AO Member

cheers russ, i did think that but wanted to make sure first
AO Member

Just finished doing the ecu reset and fantastic, revs easier and morte freely and i have got all my power back, soooooo happy

County: Aberdeen
hi guys
tried disconnecting the neg car alarms go mental so tried the pos same happened .gave up to dam noisy cmon back..
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianab View Post
hi guys
tried disconnecting the neg car alarms go mental so tried the pos same happened .gave up to dam noisy cmon back..
put your key in the ignition, should stop the alarm unless its a 3rd party one
AR156SA

Hi guys, so I had a bit of a wonly idle for a while, did all the resets and it would last for a little while. Removed the cat, and the car idles sweetly at about 800/900rpm.
Who would've thought?
I know it may not be an option over in your neck of the woods, but certainly helped me.

AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

156 selespeed

Did the ECU Reset today.....Car feels a little better but wasnt really in a bad state of affairs to start with, does seem to pull a bit smooooother. Going to do the Air Con reset tomorrow see how that goes....its just blowing warm air, like the miss' lol
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR156SA View Post
Hi guys, so I had a bit of a wonly idle for a while, did all the resets and it would last for a little while. Removed the cat, and the car idles sweetly at about 800/900rpm.
Who would've thought?
I know it may not be an option over in your neck of the woods, but certainly helped me.

wont it mess with any of the sensors on the car ? is the lambada sensor no longer required ?
Ive had a few cars de cated however you spell it lol but on a super chipped civic i had well NIGHTMARE! it did make the cars i had done very loud ,less fuel consumption but the performance seemed better

whats everyone else's view on removing the cat and maybe a straight pipe in its replace ??
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyNewbie View Post
Did the ECU Reset today.....Car feels a little better but wasnt really in a bad state of affairs to start with, does seem to pull a bit smooooother. Going to do the Air Con reset tomorrow see how that goes....its just blowing warm air, like the miss' lol
when putting A/C on can you hear compressor clicking on?
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa 156 2000

I am going to have a go at this reset thing.Have read all posts on the thread and some for some against.However it has to be said that most who have done this are having very positive results.I am trying it because i too think my car is underpowered for what is supposed to be 155 bhp,its not exactly slow,just doesn't feel like 155.To get the car going quickly involes really putting your foot down,for ages i thought this was just how Alfas are but after reading this thread maybe not.I have alfadiag and have tried ecu reset on that,it had adverse effect,however again after reading this thread it would appear this is normal as the ecu then goes into self learning(i think i have that right).I am going to have a go anyway as i don't see what harm it could do to be honest.By the way when i had running problems(this was on another thread) which i thought may have been the MAF,i did the test suggested(disconnect the MAF) not only did the problem go away indicating faulty MAF but also engine light came on(as has been said in this thread) however when i replaced the MAF with a brand new one,the light stayed on,i presumed this would need resetting with Alfadiag but chaps on here have said it should go out straight away.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2000

Right reset completed,and yes,there is improvement.My issues were power at lower revs,it didnt seem like a 155 BHP car,as mentioned above i just thought this was how Alfas are ie you have to put your foot down.Did this reset and seems to have far more poke early revs,and has to be said while driving it i was changing my mind about selling.I think that there are a few chaps who don't agree with this reset and i think all of the chaps who don't agree probably have far more knowledge about Alfas than me(i could out do them on Rover SD1s mind ),so i think they need to be listened to,however,instant results,very good,very good indeed.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
In all honesty where ive read the 156 2.0 TS had 165bhp... the new JTS 2.0 has 175bhp... and the 2.5JTD has 179bhp... all from Alfa direct... 2.5 JTD obviously has much more torque, but is only slightly better than the 2.0JTS.

The 'J' version of the TS is a different engine with injectors directly inside the engine chambers, rather than outside as were previous TS engines. The direct injection i.e the 'JTS' gave more bhp and were more efficient than the 'TS' hence they used em lol... JTS engines are sweeter!

All fact from Alfa!

Laterz

Rivern
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Gavin when you reset the test the MAF the engine light will come on... it will go off after a bit of time... this is normal.. its your car saying "Pronto!" somethings not quite right... but you have to look past the dash and feel the car... if it feels smooth and there are no flat spots in the engine when excellerating then the MAF that was connected is deffinitely faulty... and should be replaced... if you still have flat spots then the MAF you unplugged is probably fine and its something else wrong.

The engine light comes on for a time when you reconnect it too... this will go out over a short time driving as the computer re-adjusts itself.

Dont be scared of engine lights on Italian cars! Its talking to you... just in another language.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2000

The MAF was faulty as problem went when disconnected,this has been replaced.This ECU reset has made the car run better,as i said before,far more poke early revs,will see how long this lasts though.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

156 selespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
when putting A/C on can you hear compressor clicking on?
Thinking about it i dont think i can...... Will double check this morning.

County: Aberdeen
ok thanks for that will try it
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.0 ts

one warning- we should not exaggerate with the ECU reset. We should not doing that too often. ALFAs 156 ECU somewhere to 2001 is an older tupe with limited memory and each reset (as well as other changes) are remembered permanently in the ECU memory. And it is a relatively small capacity.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

156 sportwagon

Karl did this on our car (156 sportwagon 1.8) last weekend - its made a huge difference no flat spots, better acceleration, it just feels better all round and the light I was asking about hasn't appeared since its been done so fingers crossed on that too ! Thanks
AR156SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan 007 View Post

wont it mess with any of the sensors on the car ? is the lambada sensor no longer required ?
Ive had a few cars de cated however you spell it lol but on a super chipped civic i had well NIGHTMARE! it did make the cars i had done very loud ,less fuel consumption but the performance seemed better

whats everyone else's view on removing the cat and maybe a straight pipe in its replace ??
Hi Conan, lambda is before the cat, so that wasn't an issue really, so sensor still in place.
I had a freeflow box fitted instead as I only would have had the rear box if I had only a pipe fitted.
My cat had it's day.. blocked up and only restricted flow. It revs so freely.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page