ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Try disconnecting the MAF and go for a drive. It'll idle rough, but if it pulls ok it indicates a faulty MAF...

If it is, I'd suggest an ECU reset immediately after replacing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Member car:

Iainfm..

Did you mean me? If so, cheers for the reply...sorry for being a bit dumb, but what do you mean 'pulls ok'? literally if it drives ok? Oh and 'idle rough'? Sorry, im not really 'down with the kids' with all this car talk. Although i know what MAF means
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis_toz View Post
Iainfm..

Did you mean me? If so, cheers for the reply...sorry for being a bit dumb, but what do you mean 'pulls ok'? literally if it drives ok? Oh and 'idle rough'? Sorry, im not really 'down with the kids' with all this car talk. Although i know what MAF means
Yes, sorry. I was using my phone to reply...!

Pulls ok = accelerates ok. ie without the issues you're experiencing.
rough idle = when it's ticking over it will rev up and down a bit by itself and maybe sound like it's going to conk out.

ECUs are almost unknown to go faulty, so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion...

It is a petrol-engined car, I presume?

Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis_toz View Post
Alright guys

Didnt really want to start a new thread, but two questions...

I keep having engine management light come on, had it diagnosed as lambda sensor faults, although autolusso checked them for me and confirmed it wasnt them, so suggested it could be an ecu fault (having also eliminated cat and electrical wiring)

Whilst the car is driveable, albeit a bit sluggish, the mpg is pretty poor at the mo, and its ******* out rich exhaust emissions (only by what i can see, havent actually had emissions tested recently)

Firstly, would an ecu reset potentially cure this, bearing in mind lambda sensors appear fine?

Secondly, does anyone know of a reputable ecu-tester? Location isnt a prob, as the ecu unit can just be posted...

Cheers

Lewis
Were the Lambda sensors stone cold when you had Autoluss test them? I doubt it and in which case they cannot rule them out.

Have ou tried running the car with the MAF unplugged? This will make the light come on and the idle go rough, but if the MAF is at fault then the car will improve performance wise throughout the rev range.

But generally if an ECUis saying there is a faulty Lambda, then 99% of the time there IS a faulty Lambda.

Member car:

Iainfm - thanks

Yes, sorry, forgot the basics...its a 147 1.6 petrol

I might disconnect the MAF this weekend and see how i get on, as its obviously the best starting point as its free and easy!

Smaky - thanks for the reply too. To be honest im not sure if Autolusso tested the lambda sensors stone cold or white hot...i'd only be guessing.

This said, i had the same prob last summer and replaced a lambda sensor, which cured the prob for a few months...that in mind, it could well be another lambda, or the replacement one (i replaced it with an aftermarket one, Bosch i think)

Appreciating this help so far anyway!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Disconnecting the MAF is a two-second job. Literally! As Smaky says (and I should have), it'll light the engine light but it'll go out once you reconnect it.

I think there are 3 lambdas on your car... (not seen any 1.6's up close)...so it might just be the failure of another you're witnessing.

Bosch are the right ones to buy though
AO Member

County: Essex
Thumbs Up Hp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-Red View Post
the later 2.0 twinnys were 150, early ones were 155, and only the jts is "supposed" to be 165

2001 would be 150 dodgy mafs sap power
Just for the record, my "X" reg (Yr2000) 156's Owners manual confirms 155HP.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

156 selespeed

Without starting yet another forum i have a cry for help....again lol

I went to check my gearbox oil on my selespeed. When i undone the cap by the wheel arch to check it had a white plastic dip stick attached to the top of the cap, there was oil in the tank/bottle but the white dip stick was not even touching the top of the oil....is this right, im guessing NOT.

Where should the oil get to on the white dip stick as i could not see anywhere that had min or max on it.

Does the car need to be in the MAR position.

Also where is best to get the right oil, as im guessing it needs topping up ASAP...any help is welcome.

Thanks
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Best to start a new thread, as your question isn't really what this thread is about.

I *think* you check the fluid level at MAR. It's a special fluid - Tutella from an Alfa dealer, or Dextron 3 as a next-best substitute (from memory).

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GT

Anyone know if this fixes the issue of the fast ticking indicator relay and dash light??

The problem is my left indicator relay and dash light goes like the clappers (as if a bulb is blown) but all bulbs are OK. the really odd thing is the external lights all flash steady as per the right hand side?

The hazard switch seems to have the same issue too, but not sure if thats the norm as i dont know anyone with a GT to compare to...

Any posts would be greatly received

County: Meath
kenmar

Hi all I have a 156 ts 1.8 witch when started with engine cold car shakes and revs jumping from 500 to 1500 rpm also cuts out when stopping or slowing down. If I leave the engine ticking over for a few mins or drive for about 5 miles its fine drives like new anyone else had this prob
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I tried numerous resets and nothing worked for my bouncy revs when holding clutch in going more the 20mph. I guess its a ABS fault somewhere!
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

Lick Help...............

Just purchased 147 2.0LT T Spark
After 4 days of having it the ECU= (Motor Control System Failure) warning pops up and leaves the yellow engine light on, will a reset cure this, if so any ideas why it has come on (How long is a piece of string i hear you all ask )
Also 2nd gear around 4000 rev it starts to Kangeroo Jump, which we either have to upthe revs or change gear...Any ideas???
Do not want to take it to the main dealer in fear of
Thanks Paul

Last edited by Pararider; 26-03-10 at 11:50.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pararider View Post
After 4 days of having it the ECU= (Motor Control System Failure) warning pops up and leaves the yellow engine light on, will a reset cure this, if so any ideas why it has come on (How long is a piece of string i hear you all ask )
Also 2nd gear around 4000 rev it starts to Kangeroo Jump, which we either have to upthe revs or change gear...Any ideas???
Thanks Paul
you need to get diagnostics done on that mate

the ecu throws error codes for a reason lol

you can reset the ecu to try to clear the code but its just like homer simpson sticking the piece of tape over the check engine light
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pararider View Post
Thanks Paul
if you got car for dealer take it back to him to sort,if not start a new thread
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

No to car dealer, just been for a drive......engine sounds fine...
Just the amber engine light still on and still the hesitant/kangorooing at certain times. :-(

Last edited by Pararider; 26-03-10 at 15:30.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

MK6 Golf GTI

Spunds like the MAF sensor. (so i was told by a mechanic friend when i was lookinga t buying a car and it did the same)
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Spunds like the MAF sensor. (so i was told by a mechanic friend when i was lookinga t buying a car and it did the same)
Thanks for this info does anyone know how to check/test the MAF??
Regards Paul
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
As said numerous times in this thread Pararider, Disconnect the lead connection to it.

PS: In all honesty the best thing you could do is to get the car on diagnostics, fiatecuscan.net is free and excellent and runs of windows.

Last edited by EauRouge; 27-03-10 at 10:15.
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

Thanx i have read the previous, sorry do not understand the test.....................yes to disconet the MAF. Will idle rough but pull okay indicate a faulty MAF....
What doe a good MAF do other than correct the idle.....Sorry if it obvious to everyone but not me
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Pararider, the best thing in all honesty you should do is download the FREE FiatECUscan.net software.
Fiat ECU Scanner - Fiat/Alfa/Lancia ECU Reader
Buy the KKL cable and the diagnostics will pinpoint your problem, any other method is guess work fella!

You will have haunting in idle and flat spots on acceleration with a faulty MAF (Among other symptons), but you could have cracks in the plastic hoses to the throttle body and your MAF could be fine, this is why i say get it on diagnostics as the way you are attempting to cure your problem could prove very expensive replacing parts that you may not need to replace?

Last edited by EauRouge; 27-03-10 at 10:44.
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

Thanks getting it tested via computer on Monday............
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

as this thread can be imformative to a degree,problem is everyone posts problems on here thinking this thread will fix their problem
my suggestion is read through this thread then start new thread and if need be ,we can direct owners faults to relevent threads where fixes have worked,or give them advice on causes or the fix
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
as this thread can be imformative to a degree,problem is everyone posts problems on here thinking this thread will fix their problem
my suggestion is read through this thread then start new thread and if need be ,we can direct owners faults to relevent threads where fixes have worked,or give them advice on causes or the fix
My car keeps using diesel but i want it to run on fresh air. Will the ECU reset work for me?

Seriously as above guys - if its running a little lumpy or whatever it probably will help a bit - mine has been loads better but don't expect it to sort anything serious.

If the ECU is chucking an error and there are warning lights staying on on the dash they are probably there for a reason !

get it checked out properly. If it went bang because you managed to reset it and the ECU was keeping the engine safe you would get absolutely no sympathy.

If you walked into a room and got mauled by a lion would you really want someone to make you drink some magic potion that made you forget about the lion and then send you back in?

Last edited by sonic_vi; 27-03-10 at 20:16.
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 147 T Spark

Sonic Vi Point taken ...........But i did state that i am getting tested!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Pararider; 28-03-10 at 11:39.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page