ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTucker View Post
This idle problem people are having... I don't have an issue with that, however if I'm driving along and I put my foot on the clutch, and hold it. It drops revs to around 500 then sort of bounces up to about 2 thousand then drops down to 500 and back up over and over again. Now normaly I'd just do a throttle reset but I'm thinking maybe this could be an ECU thing as it is an Alfa :P

Any suggestions peeps?

Regards.
Get your stepper motor replaced.....sorted my old 145 QV (placa top) which had exactly the same symptoms. It needs calibrating at the stealers mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainfm View Post
That's what he told me
Many thanks Iain
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Smaky, is the only true way then with Examiner, Alfadiag, Unidiag et al ?
You have to "open" the ECUs learning circuit, this is done by the attached laptop with the correct software telling it to dump the previous perameters so that it can learn again. NOT using a laptop ONLY clears the fueling section of the map and puts the car into LIMP mode till it's learnt from the Lambda/s the amout of fuel required, but all other perameters will remain the same and normally result in the engine acting the same again in about 15 minutes.

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
You have to "open" the ECUs learning circuit, this is done by the attached laptop with the correct software telling it to dump the previous perameters so that it can learn again. NOT using a laptop ONLY clears the fueling section of the map and puts the car into LIMP mode till it's learnt from the Lambda/s the amout of fuel required, but all other perameters will remain the same and normally result in the engine acting the same again in about 15 minutes.
i take it doesnt work with alfadiag on ME3.1 EODB then ?
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

156 sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmc View Post
The light you describe is the EOBD (European On-Board Diagnostics) warning lamp. If it's on constant, it means the ECU detected an error in the start up sequence or one of any number of other errors as discussed elsewhere in this thread. It's raison d'etre is mainly as an emissions warning system to draw attention to anything causing the engine to run badly leading to increased emissions. If it's a serious emissions issue it can cause damage to catalytic convertor. I think it will also come on if the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) is causing problems.

If the light is flashing it's a more serious problem and the car needs immediate attention. If it is flashing while driving, slowing down and driving more gently can result in the lamp returning to a constant glow instead. I read somewhere that the switching off the engine and restarting after 2 mins can help.

Mine illuminated after the battery was changed and I reckon the dying battery had resulted in an ignition sequence error. I came here seeking clarification. Within days of my asking about it, the light mysteriously extinguished after about 3 months of it showing. Apparently if the error does not recur within 90 start ups it resets and the light goes out. That probably equates to the specified 90 start ups.

For my part, I had no luck with the ECU reset described further above.
Thanks very much

It has never been flashing - its just on sometimes and not others, someone else mentioned an airflow thing - Karl phone our local dealer and a new one is 200.00
so maybe we will try to get a secondhand one (cant afford that just now) I noticed today that its taking longer for the engine to start. I dont know - blinking cars

Thanks for the information tho - very useful.
AO Silver Member

County: -
And how is the ECU reset done with Alfadiag? Can this be done on the diesels too?
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
And how is the ECU reset done with Alfadiag? Can this be done on the diesels too?
Connect to the engine ECU, go to the 'actuators' tab. In the 'actuator control' sub-tab, choose 'reset learned parameters' (or similar).

Dunno about diesels... If it's there, it should be possible.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Just did this on my 2.4 jtd - did ecu reset and the Throttle reset thing.

Feels like a new car ! I am a mega happy bunny. Idles smooth and pulls like a fricking train - feels as fast once moving (if not quicker) than my B18 civic vti on vtec which is something else ! (getting used to changing at sub 4000 rpm is wierd when you have been used to changing at 8200 rpm with your ears bleeding lol.)

Anyway cheers for this absolutely top stuff - gonna do it on the missus 147 i think as well
Eric C

Was thinking about doing this but im not exactly a mechanic.should i do it guys?

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric C View Post
Was thinking about doing this but im not exactly a mechanic.should i do it guys?
absolutely !

i am not a mechanic either

it involves undoing and redoing one bolt on the battery connecter and turning the key a few times.

so glad i did it
AO Gold Member

It may come back and haunt you in a few days if you do! Should have done what Iain & Smaky recommended in the first place! aw well ya live n learn.

Last edited by EauRouge; 17-03-10 at 13:17.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

156 selespeed

So this ECU and throttle reset.....can it do as much good as bad????

Want to do it to my 159 selespeed....it doesnt have any problems but it is 10 years old and would have deffinatly lost a few horses. BUt dont want to do it if it could all back fire and leave me regretting doing it..???!!!!
AO Gold Member

Hi Jimmy, i would say if it does fix? it will be a short term fix, with me it made my engine haunting worse!
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

Quote:
Hi Jimmy, i would say if it does fix? it will be a short term fix, with me it made my engine haunting worse!
thats made my mind up then i think?!?!?!? Will probably give it a miss.

Im new to Alfa's and after some of the sob stories iv heard not going to tempt fait on this one....She is a good car and for the sack of a few extra ponies not going to risk it.

Got a new thermostat on order today as it is only getting to about 60 on the temp gauge when driving and doing bout 20 mpg

Easy to fit?????
AO Gold Member

Thermostats are very easy job, As Iain & Smaky recommend get it under diagnostics and go to the root of the problem as this throttle reset only seems to address the symptoms!?
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

So if mine doesnt have any problems, would it be worth doing the reset to see if it gives me back a few extra horses???
Sorry for all the questions
AO Gold Member

I can only say if it aint broke why bother!? have you changed the oil & air filter that might give you some more?
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
It may come back and haunt you in a few days if you do! Should have done what Iain & Smaky recommended in the first place! ay well ya live n learn.
It's a wonderful thing is that hindsight, if you listen to the trained then you wont be sold a lemon like this thread.
AO Gold Member

If i could have one wish Smaky, it would be the gift of hindsight indeed.
(Post Link) post #95 of 516 Old 11-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
OK - I thought I thought I should post an update to the thread I started two and a half months after doing the re-set.

The car still feels great, and I still stand by my original observations that I gained extra power and acceleration. There have been no adverse effects, and in my experience it was worth doing.

Of course, there are some who will say this is a red herring or will cause damage (lemon, Smaky ? a bit harsh for a newbie just sharing his experience of a well documented and discussed process !), but I have to say, there are absolutely no signs on my GT JTS so far.

The only disappointment is that the window (the miracle cure part of the original post) is back to stepping and I still have either tropical or sub zero climate control options.

So in summary, it worked for me, and others on this forum. Other members seem less convinced. But like I said, I'm not selling this, just passing on my experience.
AO Member

Quote:
It's a wonderful thing is that hindsight, if you listen to the trained then you wont be sold a lemon like this thread.
I am half and half to be honest.

pointed me in the direction of a few problems - the extra power i gained is still there but have had VDC problems a bit more.

ah well chin up
AO Member

County: Highlands
hi has anyone tried this on 2.5 v6 q-system auto box
just wondering if its the same process for these q-system auto boxes
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD GT View Post
My GT 2.0L JTS has been idling a bit rough recently, and it felt like a few of my horses had flown south for the winter. In addition, my climate insisted on only blowing hot air, no matter what temp I dialled in.

Having trawled through various threads, the ECU reset fix was mentioned several times as a cure for both symptoms.

So, today being...etc
The AA had to replace my battery on my old 1.8 T-Spark. Afterwards the car felt really sluggish and had lost all its zip. I found this tip and tried it out. It worked a treat, the car was back to it's old self.

Just posting this in case it helps anyone in a similar position.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTDm

Quote:
+1

Disconnecting the battery will not reset the self learning parameters

Member car:

ECU Reset/test

Alright guys

Didnt really want to start a new thread, but two questions...

I keep having engine management light come on, had it diagnosed as lambda sensor faults, although autolusso checked them for me and confirmed it wasnt them, so suggested it could be an ecu fault (having also eliminated cat and electrical wiring)

Whilst the car is driveable, albeit a bit sluggish, the mpg is pretty poor at the mo, and its ******* out rich exhaust emissions (only by what i can see, havent actually had emissions tested recently)

Firstly, would an ecu reset potentially cure this, bearing in mind lambda sensors appear fine?

Secondly, does anyone know of a reputable ecu-tester? Location isnt a prob, as the ecu unit can just be posted...

Cheers

Lewis

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page