ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes

jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandudley View Post
i'm having similar issues with my 3.2 V6, will this ECU reset work as well on the non turbo'd motor?
of course, keeping in mind that all it does is reset the throttle....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Gauteng
I did the ECU reset (With throttle option) this morning. car feels smoother and idle is now steady, will have to see how she is in traffic situation (hoping the slight hesitation on pull off is gone now).
Only issue now is my windows auto up & down doesn't work anymore, other than that ll is good.

any solid advice on how to get my windows working 100% again?
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
any solid advice on how to get my windows working 100% again?
make sure the guides are lubricated (with sillicone oil or PTFE), and reset top and bottom limits by holding the up position button for 10 seconds with window in top position, and down button for 10 seconds in lower position.

AO Member

Thumbs Up ecu reset after work done

I did the ecu reset and my baby ran beautifully, but then the clutch packed up (don't ask how much that cost me) and she went in over December for repairs. Have her back now and my throttle delay and uneven idle are back. Gonna do the ecu reset again as the battery was disconnected and hopefully it gets back to normal.
Watch this space!
AO Member

Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
make sure the guides are lubricated (with sillicone oil or PTFE), and reset top and bottom limits by holding the up position button for 10 seconds with window in top position, and down button for 10 seconds in lower position.
Worked like a charm, thanks mate.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

AO Member

Quote:
I did the ecu reset and my baby ran beautifully, but then the clutch packed up (don't ask how much that cost me) and she went in over December for repairs. Have her back now and my throttle delay and uneven idle are back. Gonna do the ecu reset again as the battery was disconnected and hopefully it gets back to normal.
Watch this space!
All back to normal, would highly recommend doing an ECU & Throttle reset if any work is done on your car that requires the battery to be disconnected. it's just over 1 hour of your life that is so worth it....
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT

Hi

So my car has been through the wars!!

Injector unseated, water pump failure leading to cambelt snap, EGR valve clogged and replaced, holey turbo pipes and a remap...

I had the car on a rolling road and I can't remember what it was producing at the wheels but at the crank it was estimated at 164hp (this was POST remap!), and this was whilst it still had a dodgey injector, holey turbo pipes and clogged EGR valve.. so it must have learnt a load of bad crap over the years!

I currently have the window up and down dance going on, it takes about 10s to start the car when weather is bad which also leave a nice plume of partially burnt diesel, it feels like it takes a good second to get any response from the throttle between 1k and 3k and it idles quite lumpy.

I'm going to try this asap to see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited by hazkirby; 21-01-15 at 15:04.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

2005 GT JTD

If pulling the battery for 45 mins doesn't reset the parameters and there is no option of multiscanecu for resetting a CF3 Alfa GT then how do you reset the Parameters?
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

maybe it's just MES that doesn't support it yet ? Or there is nothing to reset....
The other ecu does support reset in MES (16C39 CF4 )
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
maybe it's just MES that doesn't support it yet ? Or there is nothing to reset....
The other ecu does support reset in MES (16C39 CF4 )
As you say, MES supports CF4 engines so you would have thought it supported the old unit!

Perhaps there isnt anything to reset but it seems strange given that in reality a CF4 unit shares most things with the CF3. DPF related/Lambda stuff can be reset separately to the parameters on MES for the CF4 so it would make you assume there are other things such as MAF/Crankshaft etc settings that get reset.

Hmmm...
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT

This didn't make a difference. I think probably because I've had the battery out quite a lot so has reset in the past. Throttle reset does nothing as its a jtd as expected.
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT JTD

Well yesterday afternoon I disconnected the battery for 45 mins, reconnected, turned the key to Mar for 90 secs, turned the key back and off for 90 seconds and then started the car. Loads of low down torque and generally felt alot more powerful. Today I drove the car into work on the 40 mile journey I do everyday and it averaged 6+ mpg more than it has ever done in exactly the same road and traffic conditions.

I have previously only ever disconnected the battery and have not turned the key to Mar etc.

The difference is so great that its hard to believe its a placebo affect. I will see what its like over the next few days and report back.

My car is an April 2005 CF3 JTD.

Need an Alfa! Cheap, cheap! Pref something older that needs a little work!
AO Member

CU reset notworking

Got my car back (again) from the gearbox people last week and everything was fantastic up till Friday afternoon. Car suddenly starting idling roughly and pull off was hesitant.

Re-did the ECU reset Saturday and then went for a nice long drive (+ 120km's), all good on the open road at mid to high speeds but as soon as I'm at low throttle the car starts jerking and the "Motor Control System Failure" warning light comes on.

Took her into my local mechanic yesterday, let's hope it's nothing too serious.
AO Member

County: Attica
Garage

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

I'll be doing the same to my 159 2.2 JTS. I believe it will do no harm after 8 years of usage from previous owner. Will revert with the results.

Results:
  • (much) Better throttle response.
  • Slightly better av. consumption.
  • A 3-beep noise that can be heard a few seconds after I lock the car

Last edited by hellenicsun; 17-03-15 at 20:28.
AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage

Member car:

147 jtd 16v mjet

Bringing up a old thread but I did this today and did not see any difference
AO Member

County: essex

Member car:

147 1.6 ts

So is there any negatives from doing this? I know it's never been done on my car before....
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_addicted View Post
Bringing up a old thread but I did this today and did not see any difference
This means your car was running ok. Personally I think this thread is misleading. I think a reset is only hiding underlying faults that need investigation. Poor running will return. Certainly not a "cure".
AO Member

County: England
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0l TS

Out of interest, is there any way of performing the reset in MultiECUscan?
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMClark View Post
Out of interest, is there any way of performing the reset in MultiECUscan?
In MES if you connect to your engine ECU then go to (F7) Adjustments you have the option to (F10) "Execute" the "Self -Adaptation Reset". This sets all the motor self-adaptive parameters to zero. Which I think is pretty much what the ECU reset procedure is all about. When I did it I thought I got a slight improvement in low end smoothness and torque but as others have said maybe that's placebo.

Of course you have to have the key in "MAR" when doing this but I didn't dare try it while the engine was actually running.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
In MES if you connect to your engine ECU then go to (F7) Adjustments you have the option to (F10) "Execute" the "Self -Adaptation Reset". This sets all the motor self-adaptive parameters to zero. Which I think is pretty much what the ECU reset procedure is all about. When I did it I thought I got a slight improvement in low end smoothness and torque but as others have said maybe that's placebo.

Of course you have to have the key in "MAR" when doing this but I didn't dare try it while the engine was actually running.
The reset in MES is a lot more comprehensive, but only really required is you replace components.... The reset in this thread ONLY resets the idle/throttle ...

from MES:
If some elements such as the minimum actuator, the Lambda probe or the knock sensor are replaced, the function lets the ECU return the adjustment parameters to intial values so as to correctly manage the new component.

Last edited by jwq; 13-07-15 at 07:27.
AO Member

ECU Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
This means your car was running ok. Personally I think this thread is misleading. I think a reset is only hiding underlying faults that need investigation. Poor running will return. Certainly not a "cure".
It did hide the fact that my Coils were going and I finally had to send the car in to get all six replaced.
She's running beautifully now so the ECU Reset might be a short term solution only and maybe just to get rid of some annoying dashboard lights.

Now I wish there was an easier way to replace the park light (front right) instead of having to remove the bumper to get to the back of the headlight unit. Maybe I'll leave that job for her next service?
AO Member

County: Vilnius
I really think that cpu reset is fairy tale.
ECU have hardcoded maps in it. And ecu uses them, it doesn't store anything in ECU memory. Based on many sensors and maps it calculates how much air, fuel and so on is needed.
ECU reset is just placebo effect, If not -then why need to disconnect battery for 45 mins? Does ECU have internal battery which lasts for 45mins? No. So it's enough 1min. Why need to idle for 15mins? WHy 15? does ecu loves human like time spans? Does ecu sooooooooo slow that it needs more than 30secs to do all it's job?
I had many cars but NEVER had any effects after so called "resets".
This whole reset crap is like bible - 100% people made bull**** story.
The only thing it resets-it's your radio

Wanna make sure it makes no difference? connect diagnostics to OBD look at how much fuel is injected on idle, on 2000 revs, 3000revs. then reset ecu.. and repeat test.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommix View Post
I really think that cpu reset is fairy tale.
ECU have hardcoded maps in it. And ecu uses them, it doesn't store anything in ECU memory. Based on many sensors and maps it calculates how much air, fuel and so on is needed.
ECU reset is just placebo effect, If not -then why need to disconnect battery for 45 mins? Does ECU have internal battery which lasts for 45mins? No. So it's enough 1min. Why need to idle for 15mins? WHy 15? does ecu loves human like time spans? Does ecu sooooooooo slow that it needs more than 30secs to do all it's job?
I had many cars but NEVER had any effects after so called "resets".
This whole reset crap is like bible - 100% people made bull**** story.
The only thing it resets-it's your radio

Wanna make sure it makes no difference? connect diagnostics to OBD look at how much fuel is injected on idle, on 2000 revs, 3000revs. then reset ecu.. and repeat test.
As I've said a number of times before, what is does at most is reset the throttle, depending on ECU type. (min/max and idle)
Disconnecting for 30' or so is just a ballpark figure to make sure ECU and BC are reset, there is a lot of capacitance in the system retaining voltage. It can be speeded up shorting the (disconnected !) minus battery lead with the positive.
15 minute idle (as specified in elearn) is again a ballpark figure to make sure engine reaches operating temp.
(and actually, on 147, gt etc what it doesn't do is reset your radio )

As a side note, in modern ECU's there are adaptive parameters that compensate for "normal" wear on certain parts, so yes, it does store certain adaptive parameters. However, these are NOT reset by this procedure....

from elearn:
The main operating principles of the system are basically as follows:

self-learning;
system self-adaptation;
.... etc

Self-learning
The control unit implements the self-learning mode in the following conditions:

- installation of new injection control unit,
- installation of a new throttle body actuator integratd with D.V.L.
- removing/refitting or replacement of rpm sensor/phonic wheel, for recognizing misfire.

The learnt values of the throttle body integrated with D.V.L. are preserved if the battery is disconnected.
The learnt values of the phonic wheel for recognizing misfire are instead lost.

System self-adaptation
The control unit has a self-adaption function which recognizes changes in the engine which occur as a result of bedding-in and ageing processes of both components and the engine itself.

These changes are stored in the form of modifications to the basic mapping, and their purpose is to adapt the operation of the system to the gradual alterations in the engine and components compared with their characteristics when new.

This self-adaptation function also makes it possible to even out inevitable differences (due to production tolerances) in any replaced components.

From the exhaust gas analysis, the control unit changes the basic mapping in relation to the original characteristics of the new engine.

The self-adaptation parameters are not cancelled if the battery is disconnected

Last edited by jwq; 22-11-15 at 18:17.
AO Member

County: Herts-
Garage

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDM

Is there any reason to do this periodically or only if you've noticed a problem? Might give it a whirl.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page