ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

SCGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Was led to believe from previous posts JTDms would also benefit but if there is no throttle guess not..!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

Not Happy 156 1.8 twinspark running rough underload

would this work on my 156 1.8 twinspark just replaced the lambda sensor and she is still running rough under load any idea's
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
My understanding is that it clears the ECU of previously "learnt" setting so, although a diesel doesn't have a throttle, it still has learnt air / fuel / engine load settings that are cleared and "relearnt" by following this process.

hub
AO Member

County: Sham Shui Po Kowloon
Another successful reset for me. I had an error message showing for my Lambda 2 post cat with a low signal, so did a clean of all the connectors using contact cleaner and modded them by removing the red spacer from the female plug (no need to cut it down on 2003 model) so connector gets an extra 1mm of connection!! Cleaned the two main terminal blocks to the rear of the engine and replaced the old air filter (which needed it but was not too bad). Then cleared the error and did a full ECU and throttle reset using Multiecuscan and the difference is very noticeable. I never really had any particular running problems that I was aware of before doing this other than a slow pickup in 2nd (selespeed) when moving slowly but not slow enough to drop down to 1st. If rolling at a reasonable speed 2nd gear pickup was fine. Now the pickup is much better and acceleration through all gears has improved greatly so for me this was definitely worth doing.
AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Mazda3 GT 2.2D

I've just done this in the past 2 hours with my 2006 GT 1.9 JTDm - and I highly recommend it! The car is pulling like a train and just feels so much better in every gear. Also, as the very first poster on the thread said, it's also cured the very annoying stepping electric window issue on both sides!

*chuffed*
SCGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmc View Post
I've just done this in the past 2 hours with my 2006 GT 1.9 JTDm - and I highly recommend it! The car is pulling like a train and just feels so much better in every gear. Also, as the very first poster on the thread said, it's also cured the very annoying stepping electric window issue on both sides!

*chuffed*
mmmm interesting I was told above it would not work with JTDm ....same car and age as yours so must give it a go...

AO Member

Member car:

Mazda3 GT 2.2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
mmmm interesting I was told above it would not work with JTDm ....same car and age as yours so must give it a go...
Strange ... because a couple of others through the thread mentioned it would work for diesel. It is noticeably easier to drive in town and pulls more smoothly and even if I am imagining that the performance is better ... the electric windows glitch was definitely fixed!

*happy*

...Now to have the tie-rods replaced and tracking rectified.
AO Member

County: Ceredigion

Member car:

147 jtd lusso

did mine this afternoon, 1.9 JTD Lusso. Very straightforward and the main thing I noticed was that the car doesn't splutter after you've turned it off, so I'm pleased
hub
AO Member

County: Sham Shui Po Kowloon
I can't see any reason why a JTD couldn't benefit. Clearing the ECU is clearing the ECU's "learned parameters". The ECU monitors the drivers style and adjusts its settings over time to suit that driver. If a car has had several owners the ECU will have a jumble of data. Far better to clear it back to defaults and start the learning process again, which certainly explains the noticeable performance difference. And the throttle reset must be similar to calibrating a gaming joystick or electronic instrument so again must be beneficial occasionally. Other than not having an ignition system why would a diesel be any different?
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Tried it on mine yesterday, whilst doing an oil change.
Seems smoother and has a bit more get up and go in the lower rev range.
AO Member

County: Hainaut

Member car:

09 MiTo 1.4 tb

Sub'd for later use if need be
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

147 1.6ts

Interesting!! i think this may be tomorrow mornings project.......
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

i have to mention this IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR CAR this ecu reset will not fix the real reason of a system that has gone out of sync in the long term YOU WILL MASK IT
have any of you ever disconnected battery and had a problem after that? sometimes a spike on connecting can throw things out
also i care to mention......if this is what is called an ecu reset ....surely it should be done until coolant fan kicks in not a so time OP states......i would hate to do this in the winter on a jtd......you could have that idling for weeks,months especially if it has duff thermostat!!
AO Member

Member car:

Mazda3 GT 2.2D

On Sunday I gave my 2002 156 Sportwagon the same ECU Reset treatment and once again it's like a new car...

With the exception of the airbag warning light which reappeared on Saturday immediately after the NCT (MOT) test - which it passed. (", )
SCGT

Had a problem with "error glow plug" warning every start even after renewing all 4 plugs ....Just done the reset and hey presto no warning and I do believe she is a bit more perky..!!!!

mr-mac

If you re-set ecu it just re-sets parameters...

If this re-set improves the car then I'd say there is something wrong and it will just go back to same state quite quickly...

If you have a jtd etc have a look at things like injector correction etc and diagnose reason it's not running quite right

mr-mac

Clean map, clean vgt arms etc. Clean EGR all the rest

County: -

Member car:

alfa 147

Hi I have read your post, can you tell me would this work on Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD 115PS, 2001?

County: -
Thumbs Up Really works !!

Thanks for this info. I have just bought a 147 2.0TS with no keys and done the ECU and lock swap. When I first started it, it ran, sort of and had no power! Did the ECU & throttle reset as recommended, and wow, runs smoothly & now responds. Side benefit, AC only blew cold before, now blows hot & cold, as it should. Thanks!!!:
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterHire View Post
Thanks for this info. I have just bought a 147 2.0TS with no keys and done the ECU and lock swap. When I first started it, it ran, sort of and had no power! Did the ECU & throttle reset as recommended, and wow, runs smoothly & now responds. Side benefit, AC only blew cold before, now blows hot & cold, as it should. Thanks!!!:
just taking earth off and reconnecting would have been suffice
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Just spent the afternoon doing this procedure on my 1.6 147, has worked a charm in sorting out a rough idle! Seems smoother too, just bezzed her round town then around the bypass and shes pulling like a train! Very pleased!
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Will this work with a 159? As you may know they have a key card so that "mar" thingy is a bit confusing.

Can it be done? Can you do an ECU reset at all on a 159?

County: Porto
I'm definitely going to try this the next weekend.
AO Member

County: Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
i have to mention this IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR CAR this ecu reset will not fix the real reason of a system that has gone out of sync in the long term YOU WILL MASK IT
have any of you ever disconnected battery and had a problem after that? sometimes a spike on connecting can throw things out
also i care to mention......if this is what is called an ecu reset ....surely it should be done until coolant fan kicks in not a so time OP states......i would hate to do this in the winter on a jtd......you could have that idling for weeks,months especially if it has duff thermostat!!
I have to agree with Davealfa11 and others here, it only masks the problem... Your smooth idle will not last and the symptoms will return.

It is there for when you replace parts, say for instance an air-filter. Although the ECU will eventually relearn its parameters on a new air-filter, an ecu reset will speed that up..

Another example is replacing spark-plugs, or injectors, or coils... all would justify an ecu reset.

Resetting the ecu because of a perceived problem, is a very temporary fix indeed.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-Red View Post
top of page but here

1. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 45 minutes. Some people recommend overnight but that is not really necessary.
2. Reconnect the battery negative lead
3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins
7. Start the car and take her for a blast

Note:
normal bold text = ECU Reset
bold and italic and underlined = Throttle reset
Does anyone know if this is the same procedure for a 156 GTA? Thanks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page