ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
How did you change to centigrade mate ? I want to do the same !
Lexia I think it was called
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Nicosia
who
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
That's just barefaced bullsh/t. Insist they escalate it**. Mention the words "trading standards" prominently.

**Franchised dealers, of every marque I've come across - though I have no idea about AR - operate a regime of venal stupidity. At the bottom are the grunt minimally-trained techs (and apprentices), doing grunt routine stuff, always trying to get on bonus by working above target efficiency because their wage is typically a mere £7-£10/hr of the vast hourly rate you pay. EG a 2hr job on the tariff (what you pay) that takes 1.5hr = 133% efficiency. Around 130% is the usual sort of target management demands. If the tech's manage to put through more than that (eg more than 130% of 40hr week, 52hrs) they get paid a better rate for any further hours. And the managers get a bonus too.

All of which encourages mistakes, but means that the last thing management wants is customer cars coming back with unchargeable faults and screwing up their targets for which they get paid bonus.

There will be a few techs who have more training, more brain cells, more experience. Among them will be guys with diagnostic skills. They're better paid, so management especially doesn't like to squander them on return repairs when they could be earning, even though they're the best choice for finding what's gone wrong.

In fact there is a hierarchy of expertise that allows dealers to call in expert techs from outside the branch, and even from the factory where a major production fault is suspected.

So when a dealer says they "can't" find out what the trouble is, what they mean is "we certainly can figure out what one of our techs has done to your car, but we aren't going to because we have your money already and plan on keeping our bonuses. So go away."

Your car is probably running like crap because Darren, age 19, tried to do a cambelt change at Warp 4 speed and boogered the timing. Or he forgot to do something up because the workshop manager kept shouting at him about why he hadn't finished a different car on another jobcard that was due to be collected at 3pm and why is it still taking up a bay awaiting parts even though the service advisor should never have promised that in the first place without checking parts stock first... Or he left a latex glove in the inlet... Or forgot to plug in the EGR. Or something.

I hate franchised dealers; if there is a good one anywhere, it is despite all the above - but I've never found one. You won't find the same clusterf$cked beancounter-spreadsheet-driven corporate idiocy at good small family run and independent garages, they depend on competence, transparency and customer loyalty. And they cost less. There are plenty of bad ones, but they're easier to spot and avoid by reputation. With franchises, the apparatus of customer care, PR and chrome plated window dressing bestows a sort of awe. They seem nearer to God. They wouldn't, couldn't possibly not live up to their authority and charge that much, surely? That is just what they want you to think.
This is the stuff of legend. If you can give a football team-talk as good as this, you might well be the man the FA are looking for...
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
who
Diagnostic equipment.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
i have just done the ecu reset on my 1.6 ts 156, and it does seem to drive a lot better.... only problem is it will not idle properly at all!!! it keeps stalling, nearly stalling and if i dont give it a few revs when starting it up, it wont have it. like i said once its going its fine, but when i have to stop its a foot juggling act to try and brake and rev at the same time so it doesnt die!!! any suggestions on what i can try to solve this problem?
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Check the intake is tight & look for splits / cracks specially on the flexi part...
AO Member

County: Lancashire
no cracks or splits that i can see, i only replaced it a few months ago with a brand new one but double checked it anyway. it was running fine before the ecu reset, but i am just trying another throttle reset to see if that helps

County: -
At the risk of sounding like a total dick...when you guys say turn the key to MAR, what does this mean? I will be beating myself with a baseball bat whilst i await replies

Just seen it above (thanks to Russ)

Last edited by Coolie; 11-05-12 at 21:47. Reason: found problem via forum
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
ignition position with panel lights on
AO Member

County: West Sussex
I played this game this morning, in part because she had developed a stutter low down the rev range when pulling off and also because the EOBD light had come on a few days ago and was hoping that this might clear it. Cured the stutter but not the warning light. - And gave he a much needed wash whilst waiting for those time gaps!
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Hi there,

I have a Alfa Romeo Spider (07), does this work on my car even though I have a push start?
Unregistered

I wouldnt think so mate. totally different story
AO Member

County: Värmland
Best thread ever!

2nd time I've refered to these instructions.

First time was when I first got my Alfa and it seemed a bit sluggish.

This time, the car has been sat in the driveway for 2 months while I found time to do the little jobs that needed doing for the MOT.

Airbag reset, oil and oil filter change and air filter change. All done.

Went for MOT today and noticed how sluggish the car was. Going up hill even with foot to the floor, I lost MPH's.

Still passed MOT today regardless. Just done the throttle reset and like magic, power is back.

I love the bit after doing the reset:

Quote:
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)
Not only did it not lose MPH going up some pretty steep hills, it gained MPH.

I still feel there are a few horses missing. Can a timing/cam belt change and water pump help get a few back?

Also got some of that exhaust wrap. Anybody tried it?

County: Al Jizah
Does it work with 156 1600 twin spark model 1999?
AO Member

County: Värmland
Quote:
Originally Posted by matarco007 View Post
Does it work with 156 1600 twin spark model 1999?
I pretty sure it works on all Alfa's. On the first page on the thread, loads of people have asked if it works on theirs, maybe somebody has already asked.
jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJaSkrtel View Post
I pretty sure it works on all Alfa's. On the first page on the thread, loads of people have asked if it works on theirs, maybe somebody has already asked.
At least the ones with an electronic engine management unit, and for the throttle(idle) an electronic throttle (stepper controlled)
AO Member

Thanks for the guide!
AO Member

County: Cornwall
so the ecu reset can be done on a manual 1.8 twin spark ? i thought it was only for automatics, i did it on my 166 sportronic and was like a new car after. will def gie it a go on the 156 if thats the case
Unregistered

Mine is a manual mate and I tried it on mine.
SCGT

Thinking of giving the "throttle reset" a try but the previous owner has fitted a "diesel tuner" at a cost of around £200. Will a throttle reset throw this out? ...Great thread...!

jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGT View Post
Thinking of giving the "throttle reset" a try but the previous owner has fitted a "diesel tuner" at a cost of around £200. Will a throttle reset throw this out? ...Great thread...!
No, except for the fact that a diesel does not have a throttle...
SCGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
No, except for the fact that a diesel does not have a throttle...

Thumbs Up miracle cure!!

Hi
Tried this,once!
Went through this process,drove the car for an hour on the motorway and through some nice winding bends in the Sussex countryside..........
Chuffed to bits with the re-born cars true Alfa performance and only stopped driving cos i needed some fuel!!

Brilliant!!! many thanks for the tip it worked for me!!

Miracle cure it is!!!
My 156 is now running in true Alfa style!!
It worked for me 100%
Many many Thanks!!!
AO Member

when doing the resets and having to turn the ignition off are you leaving the ignition key in or out?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset