ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa666 View Post
Many thanks for your informative response, I have not had the car all that long and when I first got it the alternator was changed, subsequently prior to that the battery would have been run down quite a few times I expect.
yeah sounds like an ecu reset probs would do your car some good but please check from a place that maps cars if the ecu reset will wipe your map. as you really dont want that to happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Hampshire
ECU Reset

Hi All
i'm new to this site and will be uploading my details and pics of car soon, so apols if i get this wrong, i own a S reg 05 Alfa GT (LOVELY MOTOR)
I had a prob with the cars pick up from 0 to about 2000rpm and ended up changing the EGR having seen many comments from other alfa owners on site with same issue etc.
However after changing the unit (which car is now fantastic again) has a engine warning logo that came up after i changed it on rev counter dial and when i start car have a "Motor control system failure" come up and then disapears.
i think it is something to do with the "ECU"!!!!!!!!! and apparantly need to have it reset!!!!
does anyone know if i can do this myself or does it have to go into a garage / dealer etc???
any help or advice would be welcome
Cheers Wayne

County: Hampshire
Thanks, my GT is running good since i changed the egr exept for this annoying engine logo and the MCSF that only comes on when i start the car, but anyway i heard there was a way of resetting ecu which would clear it by simply disconecting battery for a few seconds but not sure if thats gonna do it or if its the whole process! as also seen some process on posts of discon then reconect then engine ignition on then off then start engine then drive it!!! so bit confused really as to what to do
AO Member

you will need to do the full reset to clear the code. did you leave your battery connected when you unplugged the egr valve as that would cause the ecu to think a fault has happened.
i would however get your fault code checked before resetting as it might have happened after you changed egr but might not be down to the egr. 99% sure if u dc the egr without dc the battery then it will be the egr.
but if you are to clear it without finding out what the code is then you will never know what the fault was that brought up the light.
it costs around 50+ for a diag at a alfa place and thats not main dealer i dont know how much they charge probs more. i do have fiat ecu scan and i can check your fault code for you if you wanted for a fellow alfa owner. it will give you that extra peace of mind.
all i will say for the future make sure you dc the battery before opening any circuit up and the ecu has a benny at it. i have made that same mistake in the past.
if you have aa they will reset it but it will cost you a call out. just dont say u fit the part. lol
AO Member

have you done 50miles since having the fault code pop up????????
im sure the ecu has a run cycle of 50 miles and it should reset the fault code itself if the fault does not exist anymore.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadaveuk View Post
yeah sounds like an ecu reset probs would do your car some good but please check from a place that maps cars if the ecu reset will wipe your map. as you really dont want that to happen
well have taken advice from a very helpfull guy at corten-miller lincolnshire. He says that doing the reset wont remove any stage 3 map but is unlikely to cure my problem. However he said it is worth a go as it is free. So battery now disconnected and update to follow later.
I was also advised that if poss it is best to disconnect anc leave overnight.
bullet_159

159 2.4JDTm

Hi All!
Can I perform an ECU, throttle and AirCon reset on my 159 2.4JDTm?
I'm especially interested in the AirCon Reset because my is acting up (blows cold air on 1 side and hot - on another)
Thanks!

AO Member

works on the 2.4jtdm 156 so probs will work on yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_159 View Post
Hi All!
Can I perform an ECU, throttle and AirCon reset on my 159 2.4JDTm?
I'm especially interested in the AirCon Reset because my is acting up (blows cold air on 1 side and hot - on another)
Thanks!
AO Member

i dont see how leaving it off over night will benefit you at all as i have done that in the past and not any different. just a waste of time. check ur egr and maf tho bud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa666 View Post
well have taken advice from a very helpfull guy at corten-miller lincolnshire. He says that doing the reset wont remove any stage 3 map but is unlikely to cure my problem. However he said it is worth a go as it is free. So battery now disconnected and update to follow later.
I was also advised that if poss it is best to disconnect anc leave overnight.
AO Member

County: Berkshire
i tried this today ...and the car drives much better ....highly recommended

Last edited by jizzbee; 06-01-11 at 03:49.

County: Devon
Motor control system failure

This warning light repeatedly shows on the computer display of my 156 2.0L JTS. No fault can be discovered. It sometimes corrects itself, other times the garage resets the computer.
The lambda sensors before the cat have both been replaced, the car doesn't display symptoms of a MAF problem - everyone is mystified.
Any ideas Alfa lovers?

County: Devon
This warning light repeatedly shows on the computer display of my 156 2.0L JTS. No fault can be discovered. It sometimes corrects itself, other times the garage resets the computer.
The lambda sensors before the cat have both been replaced, the car doesn't display symptoms of a MAF problem - everyone is mystified.
Any ideas Alfa lovers?
AO Member

County: Dorset
I spent 3 months trying to solve a powerloss issue, car idled perfectly and revved to limit but lacked zip at
at 3000rpm to 5000rpm, tried ecu reset and seemed slightly better but not 100%..
I discounted the Maf because it showed no faults on diagnostics and also problem only started after a cam belt change.
I suspected cat so replaced with silenced decat, no difference, last resort bit the bullet and forked out for a
new Bosch maf, problem solved the power is back including the surge at 3000rpm.
But it also feels much more lively in all gears, i didn't realise just how bad the old maf was, like a different car..
I tested by unplugging and taking for a vigourous drive (did cut out at idle as expected) but drove without
holding back so i thought i give the maf a go, so glad i did the beast is back better than ever (owned it 4 years).
AO Member

i know its a long shot but when the code comes up does the car splutter and also is it when its damp as in just rained or raining???? if so send me a message i might know the fault
Quote:
Originally Posted by prworksnow View Post
Any ideas Alfa lovers?
AO Member

hi,

my 156 JTS 2.0 has maf alert (alfa say new wiring loom!), power loss and heavy on petrol. Power loss is variable from one drive to another. Acceleration is odd. no low end power and then 2500-3000 its like its got a turbo.

Would try the ECU reset but I suspect battery may be dying. Had to jump start it after not driving it for 10 days.

Anyway my question...

My service is coming up. Can I request Alfa does full ecu reset? Surely for them its a flick of a switch.
AO Member

you should do your own ecu reset as alfa service will charge you for it. here is a quick check get to the spark plug leads and spray them with wd40 on the inside of the leads both ends and see if that makes the car pick up a little. if so you might just need some new plugs or leads. as by what your saying it has nothing until you put your foot down then it comes to life. my old ti twin spark engine used to do the exact same thing was the coil pack which i treated by adding silicone conductive gel on the sparks.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwahwah View Post
hi,

my 156 JTS 2.0 has maf alert (alfa say new wiring loom!), power loss and heavy on petrol. Power loss is variable from one drive to another. Acceleration is odd. no low end power and then 2500-3000 its like its got a turbo.

Would try the ECU reset but I suspect battery may be dying. Had to jump start it after not driving it for 10 days.

Anyway my question...

My service is coming up. Can I request Alfa does full ecu reset? Surely for them its a flick of a switch.
A new battery will do your JTS a world of good and the ecu reset is just disconnecting the battery for 45mins... id do it overnight to be sure and then reconnect and take for a spin for it to relearn the cars parameters... make sure your using 10w60 oil.

The hesitation your getting is very common with JTS engines and a small search on here will answer that... (or not) in my case.
AO Member

My cars been off the road over the winter ,was hesitating under 3000 revs i did a reset which slightly helped but after cleaning ht leads and coil packs shes back to normal.Funny thing is the reset turned off my airbag light which i was soon to have checked so thats great thanks for the tip.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
....i've found only the throttle reset to be beneficial....try that just on it's own...no need to disconnect the battery.

Can't see this doing any harm.

What are the steps for the throttle reset only without disconnecting the battery?
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooper View Post
What are the steps for the throttle reset only without disconnecting the battery?
Use AlfaDiag or FiatECUscan.
AO Member

Are there threads on this?

I thought that it was a subset of the ECU reset steps?
AO Member

Hi All,
this is fantasic , car a lot quicker etc, also changed the maff at the same time and now using a lot of oil , so I wonder if something is stuck and should do it again?

its my mrs car she drive about 40+ mile round trip a day and after 3 weeks the oil has gone from max to about 1/2 way on the dipstick?
it didn't use that much before, but then that could be the norm if no longer sluggish and performance has imporved?? anyone else had this?
AO Member

So are steps 5 to 7 necessary as part of throttle reset or only 3 and 4?
AO Silver Member

County: Bangkok
Just to make sure:

I think an easy way to get the same results is to conduct the engine calibration process in "Parameters" screen of FiatECUScan. It says this should be done when installing new spark plugs and sensors..

Am I right?

PS: Connecting by OBD cable to the Engine ECU.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Hi all. Ive read through this thread but cant find anyone with the same problem as me (unless i missed it!!)

I had a Crank Sensor failure on my 2004 147 1.6 (120bhp) whilst driving home from work, coupled with the Motor System Control Failure warning on the dash. After a few episodes of the car dangerously packing up in traffic () i called the RAC and he said the code indicated the Crank Sensor.

I got towed home and changed the sensor the next day but i am left with an underpowered car (limp mode??) that wont rev past 4000rpm and if you do keep your foot in the light comes back on. (If you drive by keeping it under 4000rpm the light stays out but its still slow, no more cutting out at least...!)

My question is......Will this reset cure the limp mode malarky??

Cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset