ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!! - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
I think the bulk of your problems may have more to do with the polish berk playing dodgems with your car than the ecu reset, thats speaking from experiance after my neighbour clipped the wing of my 147, during the course of repair various things starting breaking whilst at the bodyshop all covered by my neighbours insurance thankfully.
Your probably right, to be honest it does run better, and ive since put a new fuel filter on and had a maf? Sensor changed, and touch wood no more problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

hi everyone, just joined after buying a 2002 147
the fans in the car do not work, i checked the fuses ( one was blown) but after replacing it nothing changed
i also tried the ecu reset mentioned above which also made no difference
has anyone had a similar problem or know how to fix it?
the speedo flashes when the car is started and the airbag light is also on
thanks
andrew

County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

what does it mean to turn the ignition to MAR ????
Cheers everyone

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGBARDO View Post
what does it mean to turn the ignition to MAR ????
Cheers everyone
You have MAR stamped into the barrel as well as a few others, just turn it so all lights are on but dont turn the starter motor.

County: Surrey

Member car:

[QUOTE=Alfa-Red;3155003]top of page but here

3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins

I carried out the throttle reset as described above on my 2000 156 V6 2.5 petrol. I noticed the throttle to be more responsive and overall to be better than before.

However, the engine over runs when I am changing up through the gears from 2nd, 3rd and 4th. When I press the clutch to change gear the revs go up slightly for 0.5 sec and then dip. Does anyone know why this might be?

I've carried out the throttle reset twice just in case it fixed it. Slightly better then second time, but still over running.

Thanks
Michael
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
this is to mebailey just let the car do a couple of hundred miles could sort itself out.
i know this sounds funny but do u compleatly take your foot off the throttle or do u hover over it as some times i have found i hover over mine and dont take it off fully normally only on big journeys when tired foot gets lazy lol but when i notice revs rise i jump my foot off and then dont do it again whilst thinking about it but 30 miles down the motorway i tend to do it again lol
AO Member

County: Cheshire
I have followed the instructions as described on the first page just now and am waiting the final ten minutes before taking my car for a spirited drive, I'll post my findings in about an hour or so's time. I decided to try this thing after putting in a new MAF (Bosch) sensor yesterday and although there was instant noticeable improvement with acceleration and the responsiveness of the gas pedal, there was still a bit of a flat spot in 3rd gear with no full delivery of power. God knows how whoever first found out about this... found out. lol
AO Member

Well, on return from my little hours drive being weary of police cars all over Manchester, I've not noticed any difference in how the car drives and that I still have a flat spot in 3rd gear when the turbo should kick in lots more, gears 2 and 4 are noticeable with the turbo, just not 3
AO Member

nugget im guessing its turbo car as u have said about turbo. have u checked if you have a split in any of the intercooler pipes get a mate to rev ur car after u have been driving it for a little while when its warm and stuff check if its a bit too smokey . just run ur hand down the intercooler pipe and if u find any oily stuff then its a give-away that there is a split. i had a split intercooler pipe on my 2.4 jtd and i did not notice much in some gears but others i did mainly if the car goes under strain
AO Member

eloooo, i had the lower turbo hose changed last year as there was a nut that had rubbed in and caused a small split in it, i had the garage also smooth that nut down too so it wouldn't happen again, when that happened, it was a distinct hissing noise, but there seems to be no noise of that sort this time around, there is however a nice cloud of smoke occasionally under extreme foot pressing actions on the gas pedal though lol, could that be related? and yeah, it's turbo 1.9
AO Member

when was the last time u cleaned the egr valve out???????????
AO Member

hmmm, it was replaced about 3-4 years ago, but that's about it, lol, would that help in my situation do you reckon?

County: Western Cape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesamel View Post
Have bottled it so far!! Car does seem to run well anyway, so probably no point in doing it for the sake of it - but am just a bit curious to see what would happen if I did............
what exacly does the reseting do to your car cause i have this light coming up on the dash the engine managment light will the reseting help

County: Western Cape
alfa romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspain100 View Post
......Not to worry; tried the ECU reset and what a difference! Much more "grunt" than before and altogether smoother and faster acceleration - like a different car. Cheers for this one guys, my little pocket rocket now feels like it SHOULD feel. Brilliant.
hi there can you tell me exactly how you resseted the ecu and is it possible you could mail me how as i am new too this site and might not be able to find your reply my email adress yazied1701@gmail.com thanks man
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget View Post
Well, on return from my little hours drive being weary of police cars all over Manchester, I've not noticed any difference in how the car drives and that I still have a flat spot in 3rd gear when the turbo should kick in lots more, gears 2 and 4 are noticeable with the turbo, just not 3
clean your MAP sensor out(located on inlet manifold) as well as your egr valve
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazied1701 View Post
what exacly does the reseting do to your car cause i have this light coming up on the dash the engine managment light will the reseting help
get your fault codes read will assertain your problem
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

[QUOTE=mebailey85;3583210]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-Red View Post
top of page but here

3. Put key in ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins

I carried out the throttle reset as described above on my 2000 156 V6 2.5 petrol. I noticed the throttle to be more responsive and overall to be better than before.

However, the engine over runs when I am changing up through the gears from 2nd, 3rd and 4th. When I press the clutch to change gear the revs go up slightly for 0.5 sec and then dip. Does anyone know why this might be?

I've carried out the throttle reset twice just in case it fixed it. Slightly better then second time, but still over running.

Thanks
Michael
there seems to be a problem with your engine,i would assume air leak in rubber pipe throttle body check underneath for cracks splits and also check inlet manifold to head gaskets/seal ,spray carb cleaner around that area to see if engine note changes to pin point exactly

I MUST EMPHASIZE THIS TO ALL WHO READ THIS THREAD,IF YOUR CAR HAS A FAULT NO END OF "RESETS" IS GONNA DO ANYTHING,ECU'S SELF LEARN FROM INPUTS FROM SENSORS AND IF THESE ARE SHOWING INCORRECT OUTPUTS FROM NORMAL,ITS GONNA PLAY SILLY BUGGERS WITH YA PERFORMANCE YOUR ECONOMY AND ABOVE ALL WITH YA HEADS LOL

Last edited by davealfa11; 13-09-10 at 20:52.
AO Member

like dave said the ecu reset is not a miracle cure for every ecu light that comes up. i found myself it works great when you have had a garage take your battery off to do other work then they reset via the obd. i find the reset they do does not work any where near aswell as the ecu reset thats on here. but like the guy says if u have a fault no ecu reset will cure it as the ecu will read the fault again and light will come on again.

oh yes guys i have noticed a 2003 20v jtd on ebay for sale high milage but only 1500 aux belt spring tensioner mounting bolt has sheared so will need the rest of bolt removing but other than that its a steal of a car. i have 20v jtd best engine they make.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa GT

Ecu reset ????

Hi guys i've read most of the posts about the reset and thought i would ask for advice,i have a 55 plate gt jtd no problems at all thank heavens but am intrigued by this reset theory.
She has done 99 thou well looked after with one owner,previously i had a 156 for 8 years and loved the car which my best mate now has as i could'nt pass her on to a stranger,(if this works then my mate would benefit also)my question is can this reset actually cause problems that weren't there before or is it a case of if it aint broke don't try to fix it.This car is new to me so i am not sure of it's performance or lack therof,is it worth the risk
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
There is no reason to reset it if all is well.

There is potential to cause problems and if all the parts have been worn in by now - ie MAF etc, there would likely be no benefit.

A reset with the key is not a proper reset anyway - but it can and has helped some with minor stuff.
AO Silver Member

County: Down
Garage

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

....i've found only the throttle reset to be beneficial....try that just on it's own...no need to disconnect the battery.

Can't see this doing any harm.
AO Member

Might give this a try.
I have a GT V6, took it to a main dealer for cambelt and 5 year service,
got the car back with a really rough and lumpy idle where as before it was a smooth as anything.
Went back to the dealer and they said they can't cure it !!!!!!!
I wonder if this reset will do the trick, if it does I will be furious because surely the dealer tried this ???

Any other suggestions welcome.
AO Member

....and to add to my last post.... does it matter if the ECU reset is done when the engine is hot or cold ?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJALFA View Post
Might give this a try.
I have a GT V6, took it to a main dealer for cambelt and 5 year service,
got the car back with a really rough and lumpy idle where as before it was a smooth as anything.
Went back to the dealer and they said they can't cure it !!!!!!!
I wonder if this reset will do the trick, if it does I will be furious because surely the dealer tried this ???

Any other suggestions welcome.
cam belt timing needs checking first advise them if they cant cure it and its down to timing of belt let them know they will have to foot the bill,as youll take it to independant dealer
AO Silver Member

County: Down
Garage

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

+1 Dave.....get the dealers to fix their mistake !!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cure , ecu , miracle , reset

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page