DIY ARB drop links and lower engine mount - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

156 V6 24V

DIY ARB drop links and lower engine mount

So I suspect I either have worn ARB bushes and/or drop links on my 156 V6 so am going to have a good look and replace drop links myself. Am I right in thinking this is a pretty easy job? Same for lower engine mount, I understand they go and my (non-alfa) mot bloke had a quick look for free for me and thinks a mount might need replacing.

Thanks, any links to pics and how-to's would be wonderful.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Drop links are easiest of the three .. but never had to do a lower mounting so can't really help ... ARB bushes are more of a problem as the subframe has to be dropped.

As for drop links, if they are original parts you will need a TORX socket to fit in the end of the bolts to hold it steady to undo the nuts. You might get an allen key to hold it. But after a while these get corroded and then they just spin. If they are OEM parts you might find flats on the sides of ball joint bolts and a thin open-ended spanner should hold them.

My recommendation ... cut the old ones off. My take a bit longer with a hacksaw or nut-splitter. Or drill into the side of the nut and use a cold-chisel and hammer to split the nut.

You will need the torx socket to tighten the new ones up though .. unless OEM but then these don't last as long in my experience.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

arb , diy , drop , engine , links , lower , mount