1.9 Jtd DMFs and mods - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Essex
1.9 Jtd DMFs and mods

Sorry if these repeats other threads.

I bought my Alfa a) because its the best looking and in my opinion the best driving hatch and b)with a view to modifying it (power / brakes - not Max Power/Halfords). My last car was a Mondy 2.0 tdci 130 zetec-s and it modified well, even tho lots of bits were virtually 'home made'. I am, however quite dim for a human, and in the search for horsepower gave the mondy too much torque. The result = 181bhp and 300lb ft. A very quick taxi, once. Then the DMF ate itself when i went 1st to 3rd at full chat. (My mechanic said it would be the conrods that bent first, the liar.) Repair bill was £700 and at the time I didnt have it. Besides, mechanic said same would happen again anyway if i drove like a dick, so what was the point. Sold it as a scrapper for £2200. Boo.

Then I bought my Alfa and I love it. With 150bhp it does feel quick, but Im getting the itch again. I was thinking 190 bhp but without overloading the DMF as I dont want a repeat of the above. My local Alfa technician told me pretty plainly that the DMFs are rubbish and are built to take a certain amount of torque, no more.

Long story over. Please pour scorn / advice in my direction. Ive enquired with Angel and their prices are good for panel filter and remap (maybe an exhaust if i can stretch to it). This is my everyday car tho and I need it to be as reliable as an Alfa can.
Sponsored Links
Leave it well alone IMO. Surely 150bhp is enough.....its enough for me anyway.
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
If you fit a solid flywheel and clutch from a V6, it would alleviate the DMF-burning-out issue
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Originally Posted by alfa_147_jtd_16v View Post
Leave it well alone IMO. Surely 150bhp is enough.....its enough for me anyway.
Yes, I'm happy with mine too..........

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dmfs , jtd , mods