Hi everyone! for anyone who is interested I did a running report on my GT at the 24k mark about this time last year I have been an alfa owner since last september and I use the GT for commuting (50+ miles) she is now at 31k and covered in salt at the moment so anyway here goes:
- In may this year she let me down for the first time the clutch pin retaining clip broke off near Battersea Bridge (London) and I had to use alfa assist (AA). I was back up and running within 2 hours and I had a new clip
replaced at the dealers while I waited. I have a thread here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...breakdown.html
if anyone is interested
- Creaking from the rear - took it to the local dealers and they couldn’t isolate it - hmmmm anyway, thanks to Mr Shiny Car on here - I applied gaffer tape to the rear seat catches and BINGO a silent GT! 1up to alfa owner!
- I like to keep the tyres pristine and also get the geometry done at the same time took it in for x2 fronts at 13k and oh dear one front alloy buckled and one front alloy cracked!
Anyway this is about the car and not the dealers a long story short Alfa replaced the cracked one and I moved the slightly buckled one to the back. (NB I don’t kerb or drive down potholes) personally I think this is due to the harsh ride on the blackline with the 18s on the standard suspension - oh well one to keep an eye on.
- a few weeks later I get gentle knocking when crawling over speed bumps - this turns out to be a wheel arch liner which has dropped down and is an easy fix.
- Last week a strange rattling began somewhere in the cabin - it turns out that a cable and electrical connector has moved under the passenger seat and was rattling against the seat position adjuster handle - I just tucked it back under and BINGO back to quiet GT motoring again ahhhh.
- overall the car feels like new when the tracking is done but this doesn’t last with high milage - but I do recommend getting it checked as the GT thrives on good tyres and geometry.
And the positives:
- It still feels great to drive and continues to turn heads (brilliant!)
- Interior is a lovely place to be the leather is wearing very well and the driving position (once found) is great
- Bose system
- Go kart handling still brings a smile to my face - smooth sweeping A roads are its favourite
- The 1.9 JTDm is a great workhorse and seems nice and loose (almost smoother) from the early mileage days. No Probs - (I try to always use V-power diesel for what its worth)
- The torque is great on the motorway and makes up the lack of HP third and fourth gears still feel epic and sixth is effortless
- The engine can return 40 - 45 MPG on long motorway cruises which is just fine for me.
- Tyre wear seems OK x4 pirellis P zero Rossos in 27k and more importantly they have been wearing evenly.
- When I polish it in the summer - it looks like it should be worth a lot more than it is!!
- Surprisingly practical see here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...cticality.html
- I went on my first AO meet in November and really enjoyed the convoy experience - I don’t think any other marque would look so cool apart from a bunch of super cars!
So yes you need the support of the warranty and yes some people would have ran a mile - but 95% of the time it makes me feel good, especially on the dull commute - I guess most people these days are happy with getting in and getting out without any fuss - but the GT seems to want to make sure you know whats going on underneath and thats what you do with Alfas and I quite like it, so there!
Oh and the other thing is, I’ve spent nearly 4 days of my life on this website which I’m not sure I would have done with any other car. The tough decision comes next year when she goes for another Alfa...
Merry Christmas and on to the next service interval...