147 accidet, should i be worried - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Etela-Suomen Laani

Member car:

AlfaRomeo 147

147 accidet, should i be worried

Hi, first im sorry for my bad english and lack of knowledge in car terminology as its not my native language. My problem is as follows. My Alfa 147 was in accident where my car was hit into left rear corner with force that pushed my car into next car and directly into its tail hook. My Alfas damage was: tailgate didnt close, rear left door was stuck, also the impact went through rear door and hit the driver door also. Boot floor was warped, rear suspension stabilizing rod that is situated in the direction of driving, took the impact, this cracked open welds that are on the box like structure under doors. In front, hook from next car bent the beam that connects the front fenders and that in turn crashed into conditioningunit radiator. The bonnet was pinched between fenders. Airbags didnt open.

Body was streched. front beam was pulled back out which pushed the fenders back out and then replaced. back end was also pulled and straightened, and welded.

As a result all doors close finely and car looks as it was before accident.

My problem is my passive safety and how much can that kind of accident influence structural integrity of the car (or in case of similar accident do i end up with this stabilizing rod in my a**). Does anyone have a opinion or experience with that kind of accident and maybe help to quiet down little voice in my head that says, sell this car and by new one.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
The car will never feel the same weather its psychological or mechanical, saying that anyone who repairs car with this kind of damage will do so to a high standard (considering the expense in kitting a workshop for tools like this). The car is probaly safe its just your perseption of safety might be tainted..
AO Gold Member
If its all been done by a jig-repair by a professional bodyshop, you should be fine, although that did sound like a fairly major hit. Cars are designed these days to "crumple" as they absorb the energy, although the passenger "box" ought to stay fairly rigid, it is a bit of a concern that doors were stuck...

The stabilising rod is more likely to shear off the car and be deflected under it rather than attack you, so don't worry too much about that.

Airbags probably didn't go off as you weren't travelling at any significant speed - I can't remember the figure, but under a certain speed (say 20kph) they won't activate....

All in all - depends really how you feel about the car, and whether it is recorded on an insurance register as we have in UK which will affect its value if you sell. I know some people never feel the same about a car that has been damaged and repaired.....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , accidet , worried