The way i do it is
1. raise the car remove wheel,
2. unbolt the top ball joint and separate the wishbone from the hub carrier,
3. unbolt the 5 bolts on the strut mount and push down the hub lowering the strut
4. unhook the top hat and upper wishbone
5. swap the wishbones for new
6. reverse process...
Step 2.5 - disconnect drop link from strut, leave attached to anti roll bar.
My balljoint came off easily with a Draper extractor bought in England - looks like a big clothespeg. There was no need to remove the wheelarch lining - I was making quick progress.
But then I ran into an unexpected holdup when I needed to detach the 'top hat' (upper mounting) from the strut and wriggle it out. That was step 3. I had removed all four nuts and dropped the mounting with the strut - that was a mistake, as I realised I couldn't pull or prise the mounting off the strut.
I figured out that it's:
3. unbolt only the two nuts (towards the inside) that hold the strut in place, then jump up and down on the hub and hammer the strut studs (nut in place to protect threads), repeat for about ten minutes and spray copious amounts of penetrating oil until the strut is removed from the mounting. Then unbolt the remaining two nuts (towards the outside) to remove the mounting, and continue to step 4.
Refitting the strut into the top mounting was even more difficult (photo 3) - I naively thought I could just get one stud through, then put on a nut and wind it on to draw the other stud through. That doesn't work - it jams at an angle. Made myself a whole lot more work straightening the studs on the strut, which are mounted on tabs that bend
Then to get the strut in, I refitted the strut bottom mounting, then placed a trolley jack under the lower wishbone (guiding the strut into place while jacking up), and then with the weight of the car entirely on the strut, I jumped up and down on the front door sill for another ten minutes until there was one or two threads of the strut studs protruding, to get the nuts on.
Of course, some of the time is spent in cleaning the alloy of the top mounting with alloy wheel cleaner and Scotchbrite, to match the new arm and show that the job was done by someone who was (a) caring, and (b) single. Looks beautiful in the first photo - when I tried to install, it didn't take me long to realise I'd fitted the arm the wrong way around
Second photo is correct way around (for left side).
At about three hours for both sides, it was much quicker than replacing the antiroll bar bushes though - that took me more like six hours! But I have to say, I'm not looking forward to getting those struts out again to replace springs and shocks... this time I might remove the black plastic cap on top and use a drift with my big sledgehammer...