Selespeed flashing gears - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Vaud

Member car:

Selespeed flashing gears

Hi all,
For my first post, i'm looking for some suggestion to solve a selespeed problem.
i have a 2001 147 selespeed with 177000KM that i bought on second hand.
About 2 months ago, i got the flashing gear number (3) and it got stuck on 2nd, then the car made a lot of mechanical noises. Had to unplug the battery and the car went to neutral and worked again. The day after, my girlfriend take the car and the same happens. she bring the car to alfa, and they say "actuator". well, as paying almost the same i paid for the car for a new actuator was not acceptable, i just parked the car for about 1 month, without using it. Then 3 weeks ago, i bought alfa diag, run the tests, did the routines, clean relays and check cables as suggested by you guys. the car worked fine until 2 days ago. I had noticed that when the car changes from 2nd to 1st by itself, it makes a really loud mechanical noise. So 2 days ago it got stuck when doing that operation. unplug battery and it worked again, then drive for 10 minutes and fail again while parking. yesterday, i did a check with alfadiag, everything was fine. take the car and at the end of the day, I had the flashing 3rd gear again, like a couple of months ago. This time i had alfadiag with me so i plug it and saw that the gearbox pressure was around 10 bars.
Question: does this means it's the actuator who has a leak or it could be the pump? When i open the drivers door, the pump works for about 14 seconds. also, could it be the acumulator?
How to check for a faulty pump with alfadiag? when i run the pump test, it works properly and there is no errors in the ECU.
Also, the clutch rod position is 27,80 (does it change a lot from this to 28mm as suggested?)
battery is ~12v and ~14v when driving
gearbox pressure is between 45 and 50 bars when starting the car

Thank you for any suggestions on this problem.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross

14 seconds is a long time for the pump to run. It should be more like 5-7 seconds.

Have you monitored the hydraulic circuit pressure with AlfaDiag? It should go no lower than 45 bar and no higher than 55 bar during operation. If it's losing pressure quickly, it's probably a leaking accumulator... 10 bar is nowhere near enough for the system to operate!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

flashing , gears , selespeed