Fitting New Door - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Fitting New Door

Some w@nker in morrisons car park decided he would let his trolly roll down a slight hill and straight for my beloved 147!

Massive dint in the driver side door. Of course the guy did not stay arround to pay for the damages!

went to get the dint removed but because of its location ( Lower door ) apparently it cannot be removed because the dint is where the impact bars are, my options are to have it filled, resprayed or new door

Well i found a new door (in my silver colour), how hard are these to fit??

or any alternative solution, anyone else had simular problems?

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

I did this some years ag on my 156 after a similar incident.
Swapping the doors over is easy peasy (assuming the 147 is the same). Undo the multipin connector, do something to allow the pins of the hinges to come out (can't remember what but very obvious) and the door lifts off. Reverse process and IF IT FITS the job is done.
My problem was that it wasn't a perfect fit. They are adjusted with a combination of shims behind the hinges plus some movement in the hinges thenselves and I couldn't shift the bolts that hold the hinges to the body even with an impact driver (the sort you hit with a hammer). Eventually I drilled them out (easier than I thought) and used new ones. I'm still not sure if the factory uses an enormous spanner or glues them. Maybe an electric impact driver would work?

Alfa GT JTS Selespeed. Previously 2.0TS Sele Sportwagon, 1.8TS 156

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

door , fitting