Selespeed problem - help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Selespeed problem - help!

I've just been towed home because my selespeed failed.
I had just topped up the oil and got on the motorway and the car didnt let me go past third gear, after awhile it stopped completely and said selespeed faliure.
The AA got me going and i travelled hom in second gear, still not able to go to 3rd or anyother and thats the status right now.

For awhile now i've been recieving messages of 'oil preassure low' and also sometimes my gears go from 2nd to neutral to 5th!

Does anybody know whats happened to my beloved alfa and what i can do about it?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Hi and welcome to AO it could be a number of issues. There is a wealth of info on the forums.The best bet is to get it hooked up to an Examiner or Alfadiag that will tell you the problems with the system.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

The 'Oil pressure low' message presumably relates to the engine oil, not to the Selespeed. When you say that you just topped up the oil, you didn't say whether it was the engine or the Selespeed oil that you topped up. Hopefully if you have topped up the Selespeed, you have used the correct Selespeed oil (not ATF).

I think you have a problem with the two gear position sensors on the Selespeed (though, it could also be mechanical maladies within the gearbox). The gear position sensors are small black plastic items, each with a three-pin plug, bolted to the top and the back of the transmission. If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you might like to take the sensors off and test them. Something else you can try is to swap the two sensors and see if that makes any difference (see if that allows you to select other gears or otherwise changes the problem).

A couple of weeks ago, I faced a similar problem (not getting gears and skipping gears) with a 147, though oddly enough it worked perfectly once an EOL (End Of Line) calibration was performed. One sensor had an erratic resistance, so I pried open the sensor and cleaned it, and the problem hasn't returned since.

If you do intend to work on Selespeed yourself, have you heard of Alfadiag? AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software Try some 'Selespeed' searches on this forum to find out about it.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 03-12-09 at 19:52.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 03-12-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks for your message, i'll definitley take it on board, i guess im really worried i'll be ripped off at the garage and i havent got the money to be!
Its not the engine oil, that was fine
AO Member
County: -
Hi, i had a similar behaviour from my selespeed, without the oil preesure warnings, and my garage told me it was the selespeed accumulator.
I hope this isn't the issue for you since it's quite expensive.(Lucky for me i was under warranty)

Good luck!!
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

2012 159Ti 2.4

i was going to suggest the actuator aswell as it seems that it could be loosing pressure.

does the pump sound any different when you open the door??? eg shorter, longer prime???

if it is the actuator my mechanic changed mine to the 156jts, he had to modify the main shaft to fit into my gearbox but apparently its a much more reliable unit...

but i hope its just an easy fix for you mate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problem , selespeed