iPhone - what is the total solution, please? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Hmmm iPhone - what is the total solution, please?

Though someone asked recently about powering an iPhone in the 156, and people have mentioned various iPod adapters, I don't think anyone has quite provided the total solution of "how to make an iPhone work in the 156"?

Here's what I know.

Some (but not all) of the iPod adapters are listed as working with the iPhone. (iPhone and later iPods such as the Nano and Touch use 5V, not 12V of the earlier iPods). I assume that the data connection and signals are compatible.

The standard ('Hi-Fi') stereo has a telephone input - basically a line that mutes the stereo when the phone rings. That's probably not necessary if the telephone sound can go through the stereo. Which, if it's connected to the iPod adapter, I hope it does?

How do you connect a microphone? Separate Bluetooth handsfree kit - in which case, can the speaker be routed through the stereo?

The TomTom Carkit for iPhone is a possibility - but a very expensive possibility - it provides audio-out BUT then there'd be no control of the iPhone from the stereo.

Yes, I do have an iPhone - I should have bought one a long time ago, it's excellent (and it only cost 1/4 the price of my 156!). So easy to use and it actually does more than it says on the tin. I managed to sell my (new) TomTom GO750 and my (fairly new) nasty Samsung phone, and even my (fairly old) HTC TyTNII pocket PC, and all those together fetched almost the price of the (second-hand) iPhone, which does all three jobs

But from the 1st of November, using a hand-held mobile phone in a car became illegal in NZ (I know, the UK has had that law for a while). Currently I'm missing a lot of calls and people hang up if I try and use the speakerphone on them. I think I have a mounting sorted out, and I have a charger, but obviously I need help (please!) with deciding what other items to get. I'm guessing perhaps a generic Bluetooth handsfree device with audio-out port and also a (Dension?) iPod interface? Can an iPod interface have an over-riding 'line in' as well (to connect the Bluetooth handsfree device to?)

I'm not too keen to change the stereo, as nothing will look quite as good in the dashboard as the original silver/red customised Blaupunkt (mine's a 2003 and has the Bose amplifier/speakers as well). And even if I did change the stereo, would that really help - is anything going to control the iPhone (JVC and Pioneer do), and provide Bluetooth handsfree calling (Sony do, but not with the iPhone)... AND work with the steering wheel controls/Bose amplifier? (Blaupunkt do)

So please let me know and hopefully this turns up when the next person does a search in this forum for 'iPhone' like I did. The other relevant threads are:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...lfa-147-a.html - the last post here by Tribesman looks really helpful, but I'm confused by why the 'original iPod dock' had to be modified (I wonder why it had to be used at all) and also, what is the "Xcar link adaptor" - where can it be bought...

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 02-12-09 at 10:08.
Sponsored Links
County: Victoria

Member car:

Even I think that tomtom kit fits perfectly to that , this kit offers much more than just a way to hold your iPhone steady while on a move. It's definitely pricey but still it has got almost everything which makes it worthable to have it.

Last edited by dension; 03-10-11 at 07:09.
AO Member
County: Surrey
I recently bought the Alpine iDA-X305S Media Receiver which not only charges the iPhone via the USB cable, but can also be controlled from the steering wheel controls with the appropriate connecting cable between the stereo and cabling.

It's a little bit fiddly with the CANBUS cabling in later spec Alfas (2002 on) but it works a treat once it's all connected, and you can add the bluetooth option for in-car calling too.

Alpine iDA-X305S Digital Media Receiver - iDA-X305S from Alpine

The other option I was looking at was the O-Car from Oxygen Audio. It's the only fully integrated option I've seen where the iPhone forms a part of the head unit by becoming the control panel.

O Series autoradio pour iPhone et applications, un produit Oxygen Audio
AO Member
County: Nordrhein-Westfalen
+1 for the alpine. I recently sold an alpine CDE 112Ri, and had the optional BT unit with it. Direct connection for the ipod control, and of course then had the phone also connected via bt. Worked a treat.
I currently have a tomtom dock going begging, but unsure right now as to whether ill get another iphone (and if it will work with iphone4/5 at that!).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

iphone , solution , total