Air Con / Electrical woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 01-12-09 Thread Starter
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Air Con / Electrical woes

Hi all, this is my first post so please bare with me.

I purchased my 147 (1.6 TS Lusso) in June and ever since I've had it the mileage has constantly flashed but everything worked okay so I thought I'd just leave it until something broke/stopped working. Well a few months after I had the car the air con packed in, not a bit issue really since this was the first car I'd had with air con and I could live without it.
The garage where I purchased the car included a 6 month RAC warranty and with that running out in a few weeks I decided the I would get the air con looked at hoping that any parts failure would be covered in the warranty.

I took the car to my local garage, (I've know the chap for several years and he always does a decent job). To cut the story a bit shorter he discovered that there was no power getting to the air con pump and therefore it was not working however he could find out why it was not working and suggested I took it to an auto electricians, which I duly did (again a company that I have used for various things in the past and have always been very good).

The guy there discovered that in the past an extra wire had been added into the wiring loom somewhere near the power steering pump, this extra wire didn't actually go anywhere and whoever had done it had left a spike on the solder and it had pierced several other wires including the air con circuit hence no air con.

This is where this gets a bit interesting, after removing the additional wire and tidying up the other broken wires, according to the guy who did the work "all hell broke loose". Fault code after fault code was appearing on the dash, and the car would not start! he's managed to clear all the codes and get the car running again however there is still one fault code that appears when the car is started "Motor control system failure" and according to the chap he can't get rid of it.

I've had the car back for the past two days and it seems to be very sluggish when applying the power, I've also lost the average and actual fuel consumption feature on the dash read outs, oh and of course the mileage still flashes constantly.

So does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry to on for so long but thought it best to try and explain the full story. I do have alfadiag but I'm not sure what I would be looking for if I plugged it in anyway.

Guys, where are we?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

air , con , electrical , woes