156 1.8 clutch - bleeding / slave - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
156 1.8 clutch - bleeding / slave

Guys, the clutch on mine judders a fair bit, not helped by whichever mount is fooked, but the pedal has quite an erratic feel to it, sometimes it feels fine, but others it feels spongy and has a dead-spot / air lock at the bottom of the travel. But Friday, the pedal got stuck at the floor a couple of times, so I picked it up by my foot the first time, then jabbed it down further the second, which seemed to sort it, combined with a few pumps, before resuming my reverse park manouever.

Anyway, went to try to bleed it Saturday and the nipple doesen't seem to be a bleed nipple as I know it. It seems to be plastic and perfectly round. So this prompts 3 questions, CAN it be bled? if so how ? and also can the slave be changed without the box coming off.

Previous owner tells me he had the clutch done by a friend less than a year ago. I believe him, because I bought it from a trader and then met the previous owner a week later to get the service history from him (for the princely sum of 20 )
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Yes the box has to come off to replace the slave cylinder(if it's like our 147.)To bleed the clutch you'll need to remove the battery and the tray.Once youve done that it's a doddle with Gunson's Eezibleed.I've attached instructions from 156.net.I hope it's just the fluid that needs bleeding.I bled the 147's clutch and it came out black which was the telltale that the slave had gone.Fortunately it was still under warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alfa156ClutchBleeding.pdf (85.3 KB, 59 views)
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Amazing how my PDF's get about ...
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 30-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Excellent! I did wonder if that clip would be the way, but didn't want to try in case it only released it. Plenty of room inb there for me as I don't have an airbox.

I have a secret weapon for this, from the 'bike tool kit..... Bl00dy great little tool, highly recommended;
Motrax Little Bleeder Brake Bleeding Tool - World of Power

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , bleeding , clutch , slave