Brake Problem - ABS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

R.I.P 156 2.0 TS

Brake Problem - ABS

Hi Guys,

So when i brake (below 30) steadily the brakes click/clunk and wont stop the car properly. I then have to raise of the brakes and repress, this makes it harder to press and also clicks/clunks louder. Then i brake a third time and it goes back to normal (sometimes not though).

THis stops me from stopping the car at slow speeds, But if i stop harshly from high speed it doesnt realy do it.

Yest i got a puncture, so put on spare. ABS light came on and the problem went away. ABS Light then went off and it came back. Got original wheel on now and it is still doing it.

Anyone got any ideas? need it sorted asap as its getting worst/more noticable. DOnt want to have to pay loads at a garage. My friend said he will look at it monday/tuesday for me as hes a mechanic.

any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

It sounds possibly as if one of the ABS sensors needs attention.

When the ABS light came on, this indicated a fault in the system and shut-down the pump. so what you felt was the brakes working without ABS.

You can check the sensors using a multimeter (if you have one or your friend has), set to read resistance. Take each wheel off in turn and undo the connector for the ABS sensor, then measure the resistance.

They usually read around 1000ohms. A failed sensor will either read high (significantly higher than this, or open circuit) or much lower. either way it will need replacing.

Other things to check whilst you have the wheels off are the rings - you will see the sensor pointing at this, which is serrated (for want of a better word!). Make sure none of the teeth are broken or there's a lot of rust blocking the gaps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs , brake , problem