Can you make the dash warning lights brighter? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

147 Q2

Can you make the dash warning lights brighter?

A while back someone came on here and said the the self cancelling on his Alfa was cack. For some reason he got ripped to shreds? Well anyway I would agree with him on every Alfa I've owned, this coupled with the fact that the dials are so low and out of eyesight, and the radio drowning out the click of the relays means I often leave the indicators on.

I notice the main beam warning bulb is a lot brighter and it struck me that I could use the same bulbs on the indicator ones so they stand out more. Can they simply be substituted or is there some electrickery I'm ignoring?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Most of the warning bulbs are 1.2w capless bulbs (type 286), but there are a couple of "special" ones which come in holders (soldered in). You might be able to replace them with higher wattage bulbs. They are clear bulbs as the colour comes from filters in the instruments/switches/etc.

In a lot of modern cars many of the bulbs are led's built into the circuit board.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 25-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

147 Q2

I'll take a look this weekend. Think there was a post recently about removing the speedo and it sounded simple. Some of the problem is down to me as well as the dash design; wearing narrow glasses means the instruments are out of eyeline unless I purposely glance down to read them, also I like the backlighting quite strong which means incidentals don't stand out so much at night.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

I posted a message on someone's thread about how I fixed the design fault that prevented my indicators from cancelling when turning right - maybe I was the one who was 'ripped to shreds' - I haven't found the thread again EDIT: Here it is:

Interesting you mention the high-beam light as I find that too bright at night - maybe it is an LED. Putting a 1k resistor in line with LEDs will dim them down a lot.

The high-temperature warning light makes me nervous as it's a long way from view. I think it is supposed to have a 2.3W bulb to make it a bit brighter. You can buy 2.3W bulbs from Halfords, I think, and you might find those useful for the other lights.

Perhaps another solution is to ditch the narrow glasses and wear contact lenses instead like I do - much safer

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 25-11-09 at 10:47.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Just remove dial, find out what lamp they use and visit UltraLeds to buy replacement Led. That should brighten warning lights up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brighter , dash , lights , make , warning