Problems after battery swap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 23-11-09 Thread Starter
County: Lisboa

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTM

Well Happy Problems after battery swap

Last week I got a flat battery on my GT 1.9 JTDM. Since I was stuck in a parking lot, I had to ask for help to jump start (luckily I had the cables).
The engine started and, I hit the road. Drove for a while without hiccups, and remembered that the fuel was nearly finished. I didn’t want to risk an empty tank, so I stopped for gas.

As expected, after pumping-up, the battery wouldn’t start . Asked for help again, and jump-started again. This time, the driving wasn’t so smooth… The egine control reported error after error, and for the first couple of miles all the systems were going crazy (on and off, including the lights and the engine, which kept going on and off…). I gess I didn’t let the battery charge for long enough…

Finaly arrived home! The day after, I bought a new battery. The engine starter OK, at first there was an engine control error, but than it whent away.

But still, not everything is as it was before:

• The alarm system seems to be off (If I trigger the alarm on purpose, it sounds like a continuous beep, in stead of the typical sound of the car alarm). And the repeaters don’t light-up when in lock and unlock the car.

• The driving is back to normal, but I have a feeling that the motor has lost some Power. It seems to take longer to achieve higher speeds.

I figure that the alarm just needs some reprogramming, so it’s no big deal. But I’m specially concerned about the apparent lost of power. Do you think that the ECU may need some reprogramming in order to regain the proper motor power? Or, maybe, the driving with the engine going on and off may have damaged some part of it…

Last edited by brunocandels; 23-11-09 at 18:27.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

battery , problems , swap