147 how to: fix glovebox rattling handle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 21-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD Ti

147 how to: fix glovebox rattling handle

See this thread...

Mine was rattling like crazy but I didn't want to drill holes or anything, so here's my how to to fix this.

The problem: there's a screw at the back of the handle of the glovebox but you virtually can't reach it due to the lack of space. You *can* drill a hole in the back to reach the screw (alan type). Or you can drip some glue between the plastic handle and the metal bit. I however opted for the rather 'full monty' way of opening it all up...

1/ what you need
torx 25 bit
10 mm spanner
sturdy trim remover (click to see example)
Adhesive (glue / hot glue gun / silicone / ...) for step 5

2/ get the glovebox lid off
Undo the 6 marked bolts / screws using spanner and torx bit. Mind there's a plastic lid held on by the bolts that will drop to the ground.

Now you have the lid off:

3/ Prise the whole thing open
This is BY FAR the most difficult part! The from and back are actually moulded together. So, you need to be carefull not to damage anything around the edges when starting this job (my tool is pretty friendly for the materials - any sharp bits will damage your lid) but once you have the edges opened and you can prise your fingers between, you'll need pure brute force. At some times I had to give it all I had. You will hear the moulding breaking apart (molten plastic bits letting go) but actually the back and front are pretty tough so don't be too afraid to break anything off. Start from the sides and work towards the lock. Mind the latch!!! The last part around the lock is the most difficult, so actually holding the handle in the 'open' position might keep you from breaking the latch.

4/ Repair works!

You see the little metal screw? Tighten it up! I actually completely undid it and put some glue on the screw to keep it tight - FOREVER!

5/ Closing up

Hmm... well this might actually also be quite tough. Since we actually broke the mouldings we need to put them together. I used a hot glue gun and after cooling I further finished by forcing some glue in around the edges, but you could use normal glue (thick!), silicone,...

Now get that lid back in your car. You're finished!

Last edited by Kayjey; 21-11-09 at 14:49.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , fix , glovebox , handle , rattling