I've just connected my IPOD into my car and I'd thought I'd share a few the results...I know wading through the many views is a real labour (and I'm sure I've missed a vital "don't do this post")
Date=17 Nov 09....to provide a reference point...the technology moves on.
Car=156 Sportwagon 04. So stereo head unit is Blaupunkt High End CD
IPOD= 160GB Classic. Connection via Docking Cable
My original intention was to add the IPOd connection and to retain the use of my CD multichanger. The reason for retaining the changer was to have a selectable (non MP3) reference point.
I used the Dension Gateway system as it seemed to be the only system that allowed the retention of the Cd changer...more of this anon.
- random playing of all IPOD contents is great
- no aesthetic changes tio car interior (and no wires showing)
- Can control IPOD from head unit / steering wheel buttons
- Music plays immediately on selection of "changer"
- sound quality is fine (CD changer quality)
- supplier was helpful
- IPOD charges fine
- all conections went togethger easily and despite instructions was simple to understand
- Could not get the CD retention to work reliably so disconnected it
- IPOD integration is less than expected as head unit does not support text. I wasn't bothered that it wouldn't show track info but it means that selection is by a collection of hieroglyphics made up from CD and track number.
In hindsight I'd have explored replacing the head unit with someting more IPOD friendly...costs are not much more than the integration kits.
The second option would be to use the Gateway lite and have a USB stick for music when IPOD not in car (but no doubt this would entail another complicated selection system)
So in summary it works fine and hopefully I'll get better at selecting playlists. I'm not dissatisfied.
A few things to resolve via Dension website and all tips gratefully received.
PS I couldn't find the camera when I did the install so haven't dodne a "how to"....IPOD resides in glovebox with cables etc installed behind it. Docking cable is long enough for passenger to play with IPOD.