Rear seatbelt stuck - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Rear seatbelt stuck

Having recently solved the thermostat problem, the centre rear seatbelt has decided to go on strike and stop working . I understand this is fairly common and due to repeatedly folding the rear seats, i.e. they don't like it. The problem is that the inertia reel (?) has jammed and refuses to release the belt.

I've tried to coax it with gentle tugs, hard tugs, eventually removing the back of the seat only to find the reel behind a metal panel. I can't work out how to get at without removing the seat cover and padding (somehow..).

Anyone experienced the same and managed to fix it?

I regularly carry four passengers so really need it to work.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Mine jammed in my sw. I just persistently pulled it. (15mins, I am very persistent) and eventually it gave.
AFAIK the only way to access it is to take off the front seat cover, I couldnt access mine ( 147 ) from back either - however try unbolting the belt under the rear seat then holding belt directly above the seat top and pulling the belt out - hopefully should release.
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

Just had the same problem in my GT after folding the seats fully flat (base cushion tilted forward then backrest down)

Thanks to the posts here I was able so solve it relatively quickly. It seems that the belt will lock as soon as the seat tips a few degrees forwards, so mine wasn't actually "stuck" it was just "locked" without enough slack to tip it back upright.

I undid the bolt holding the static end of the seatbelt (on the floor) by holding up the rear cushion and squeezing in underneath with a socket wrench. There is a plastic stopper on the belt which prevents it from retracting any further so there should always be just enough slack to get under and undo the bolt. What had happened in my case is the plastic stopper had slipped through the plastic slit on top of the seat and gone right up to the belt reel, but I could still lift the seat Just enough.

Once undone you can put the seat fully back and, true to the posts above, the belt should release. I think this is more due to the seat being totally upright and the lock releasing but I pulled upwards anyway for good measure.

You can remove the cover from the back of the seat but all you gain is access to a couple of inches of the belt as it enters the reel, as the reel mechanism is behind a metal plate.

Next time I put the seats down I will pull a little slack through the belt and clip it into the farthest side to keep some extra slack in case it locks again! job Door handle :/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

rear , seatbelt , stuck