GT Interior door handle replacement? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
GT Interior door handle replacement?

Just had some warranty work done at the dealers and had both door nodes replaced.

In getting the door panels off they have prised out the insert from the door handles damaging both the insert and the ruberised handle.

I am going to see them tomorrow... but does anyone know if the door handles can be replaced without replacing the whole door panel. Is that a part that I could insist that they change?

Also, the passenger side door panel now touches the dashboard and creaks when driven.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

sloppy work.

carefully done, the little plastic inserts can be re-used (i've done it numerous times), but mostly they should be replaced as they are easily damaged. as part of a warranty job, i would expect them to refit new parts.

damaging the handle occurs when the mechanic rushes and doesn't take the time or care to do it carefully; but, the handles ARE easy to 'damage' around the very edge. door handle is not listed as a separate part on ePer from what i can see; they come as part of a completely new door trim.

poorly fitting passenger door trim...what more shall we say?

good luck. i think you have a case to have it all replaced - new parts. speak with the manager. but having said this, i would like to see a photo to see 'how bad' it all is.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0 TS

If the same as a 147, the rubberised handles are screwed into the door trim at the top but are plastic welded at the bottom. Nothing for it but to replace the whole door trim. Best of luck with the dealers.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ex GT 3.2 V6

Thats unlucky . Ive been wondering this question for while aswell. looks like im going to have to source another door trim.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
I took some photo's today but have left them on my works computer. I took a printout of the damage to the dealership today whan I was passing in the works car. It was the service managers day off today but I am told he will ring tomorrow.

When I go back to work I will get the pics and post them here.

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.
Hope they sort it. The best way to remove the screw cover on the handle is to drill a small hole, then use a trim removal tool, because, as already mentioned, the cover can be replaced, the door handle, ridiculously, cannot. Equally, the speaker covers are not a seperate item either.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 30-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Finally got my door handles sorted.

The Service Manager at the dealership has been very good sorting out the problem once he saw the photo's I had taken of the damage. He replaced both complete door panels..... and although I have had a few journey's to the dealership, some inconvenience and the car spending three extra days there I am very pleased with the result.

For those of you who want to see the photo's, they are attached. You can see the lever marks in the rubber handles where a screw driver or similar was used to lever out the inserts. (Click on the photo's to enlarge them) You will see that the passenger side was particularly bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03397(cropped).jpg (59.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03398(cropped).jpg (56.3 KB, 19 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

door , handle , interior , replacement