GT rain sensor removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

GT rain sensor removal

I was wondering if anyone here has ever removed the rain sensor unit to reposition it lower where the wiper would actually wiper over it.

According to elearn once the sensor is removed it cannot be refitted and needs to be replaced. True ?

I remember I had my windscreen replaced about a year ago and I doubt they would have fitted a replacement sensor.

Your opinion would be welcome !

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 SW Ti

When they changed your windscreen over did they give you your old sensor back or did they re-attach it to the screen??

I'm looking retro-fitting this to my GT..I'm guessing the reason why they recommend you replace it is the "glue" is never gonna be quite the same again and have the same transparent qualities..
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

The first thought that comes to mind is - why not fit a longer wiper blade that wipes across the sensor correctly? I don't know exactly what size the GT requires, but perhaps the driver's side blade needs to be longer than the passenger's, and perhaps someone has fitted two shorter blades the same length instead, or switched the two blades. On my 156, the passenger's side blade wipes across the sensor.

My rain sensor appears to be only half-stuck to the glass and the spring-loaded flap inside the car is also hanging down (it is designed to press the sensor against the glass). Surprisingly my rain sensor is working perfectly, so I'm not going to try to re-attach it!

I discovered a new trick to 'wake up' the rain sensor on each drive: previously I had moved the stalk up to 'off' and back down again. If I had a handbook, I think it would say to do this, to give an 'acquisition stroke' - I remember that in my Stilo's handbook. Do you like an acquisition stroke? Well, an alternative is simply to pull the stalk and wash the windscreen. The wipers run during the washing routine, then stop, and if it starts raining after that (even, say, 20 minutes later) the wipers spring into life uncommanded.

Rain in NZ and particularly the Waikato has the amazing ability to vary from nothing to downpour in seconds, then back to a few spits, then to steady light rain, and so on. I find the rain sensor especially useful at night, when you don't notice the buildup of a few drops until you get dazzled by oncoming traffic. The rain sensor tends to see the droplets before I do. Works better than the one in my Stilo did, that's for certain.

I think another thing that helps is if you polish the glass over the sensor, so that droplets form individually and the wiper clears them effectively. If the droplets stuck together or were not cleared, the system would probably think it was raining really hard and apply the wipers continuously. On the other hand I imagine anything like Rain-X will confuse the results, as droplets would clear themselves irrespective of wiper speed, so the system would 'learn' not to use the wiper!

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 05-11-09 at 09:01.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 05-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

I know what you are saying about the wipers size and went back to the alfa recommended size when i fitted bosch retrofit flat blade as i thought (naively) that perhaps the sensor was desgined so that wipers don't wipe over it ....

What i don't understand is why the sensor sits on the passenger side by the rear view mirror base and not on the driver side and lastly it may well be that the "jelly" of the sensor eye was contaminated when the windscreen was replaced and that it won't operate correctly until the "eye" is replaced.

Does anybody know the cost of a rainsensor eye ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

rain , removal , sensor