156 gearbox, temp and a/c issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-11-09 Thread Starter
County: Oxfordshire
156 gearbox, temp and a/c issues

Hi all
This is my first thread on the forum so "Hi". Back in the summer I bought a 75k miler 156 2.0TS Sportwagon - late 2001 model. It now has 82k miles and few issues have cropped up. Most significant is a very noisy gearbox, still smooth and lovely to use but whines like a good 'un, and has for the last 3k miles.

Second is the temp, or lack of it. Most days on my 18 mile drive to work it stays well down in the cool zone.When I hit traffic, the temp climbs to normal and the fan cuts in and keeps it under control so I'm guessing thermostat, but comments would be appreciated! Last of all is the heating and air con. The auto position just makes the car hot, the air con barely works and the temp control is more an on/off switch. Set it at 18 and the car is like an oven, drop to 17 and its cold. Any comments from you expert guys would be much appreciated.

Of course, just walking up to it and looking at the beautiful lines with 16" wheels is worth it, but I'd like to drive without fear of imminent gearbox failure and in a reasonable temperature - both me and the engine!

Look forward to hearing from the Alfa clan!

Last edited by vanno; 02-11-09 at 17:26. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
100% you need a new thermostat.

Not sure on the A/C issue, but mine did that about 8-years ago.
It was a very simple known fix under warranty, but I don't know what it was.
AO Member
County: Donegal
Hey I have the same issues. My thermostat seems to be at fault firstly. My car runs at 50c on a normal commuting run of 15 miles, then once I hit the city traffic, it slowly creeps up to 90c+...I think my fan kicks in alright, I reckon the stat is stuck open.
As for the AC, mine on the LO setting blows ice cold air, but blows red hot air on any other setting, ie 16.5c+ with or without the AC compressor running (the ice crystal button). I have heard it is something to do with an air temp sensor in the passenger mirror housing, but I have yet to investigate - the mirror was missing when I got the car, and I suspect its FUBAR. The rear demister don't work on mine, and I reckon as they are on the same circuit as it, I think there is something up with the mirrors. Mulimeter time.
If you hear anything PM me matey, and likewise I will do the same.

PS Welcome!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , a or c , gearbox , issues , temp