Taking the plunge - Alfa GT... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Taking the plunge - Alfa GT...

Been reading this forum with interest the last couple of days, trying to get an idea of what I'm in for if I follow my heart and pick a GT as my next car (and first Alfa).

I have a couple of questions re. buying one (a 1.9 JTDm), and I hope somebody might be able to offer a little advice?

Firstly, do you think buying an "approved used" car from a main dealer is a worthwhile exercise? I have 10k (cash) to spend, and no more. There are a few GTs around an 06 plate with about 40k on for that money through the approved scheme. Am I likely to be able to negotiate the price down a bit from a main dealer do you think - say 500-1000? I just wonder if it's worth paying a bit more for peace of mind - presumably a main dealer car is going unlikely to have any hidden surprises, and the 1 year Alfa warranty sounds like a good thing?

Secondly, and linked to the first I guess, what's all your views on after market warranties (eg WarrantyWise and the like?) I'm very tempted to get one of these for whatever car I buy - I had no end of trouble in the last year with my (old) Vectra and I think I ended up spending a good 100 a month in maintenance. Anyone have any recommendations? A 3 year warranty from WarrantyWise (the Quentin Wilson one) would be 1000.

Any general advice on buying one of these cars would also be very welcome. I love them to bits, I guess I just have the same fears as any potential first Alfa buyer - the reputation they have for being unreliable is hard to get past....

Thank you in advance. Superb forum by the way - so much knowledge here.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

Various Alfa's

do it you wont regret it, one of the best looking cars alfa has ever made, the Jtd engines are very good, just keep her well serviced and find out when the cambelt is due i would recommend no more than 50,000mls or 5 yrs and when its due its change make sure whoever does it also changes the water pump.

All cars have faults as you well know with your old vectra doesnt matter what you buy, generaly the harder you drive a car the more components will wear no matter what it is, treat her well dont scrimp on maintenance and she should serve you well.

AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

5 years plus and luv my GT. I would say try and get a car still in warranty(3 years) & then make sure the 3 year service checks everything.
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire
Personnaly i'd get one from a dealer.... but i'm no mechanic .... so it's peace of mind. HAd mine 15 months now and no mechanical breakdowns at all. If it's been serviced and the book is all stamped up you shouldn't have any more concerns than buying any other car
AO Member
County: Kent
Had this dilema myself ,and decided to go the private sale route,get more for your money ,i picked up an 06 plate with 27000miles for just over 9500, but like you say no peace of mind though but just get it serviced and maybe spend your money on an aa/rac check ,doubt the dealer warranty would be up to much anyway from storys i've heard,had mine (first alfa)for 5 months and loving it ,no real probs, just ignore all the comments from people (most of who have no experiance of them),just buy ,get in and enjoy
AO Member
I'm in a similar position as you Vyncenze - planning to buy a GT. But I am definitely going for it and will almost certainly go to an Alfa dealer, but good GTs are in short supply.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , plunge , taking