Sourcing 156 Front Door Handles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Thumbs Up Sourcing 156 Front Door Handles

I occasionally have the sticky door button syndrome and the sleeve to the lock barrel is quite well scored, particularly on the drivers side.
I have seen the various posts showing how to get the door handles off; some really useful posts.

The only question that I am not been able to get a clear answer to is, will dismantling and cleaning alone resolve the sticky button syndrome or is the scoring on the sleeves part of the cause?

If the scoring is just an aesthetic thing, can you buy the sleeve on its own, or do I need to get a new handle? I am aware that I can move the lock barrels to the new handles.

Finally does anybody know where I can get NEW handles / sleeves from and at what cost. I have had a number of quotes for used ones at around 25ish a go after P&P, but presumably they are going to be partly scored already.

Thanks in advance,

147 Ducati Corse
MiTo 1.3 JDTM-2 (95) Lusso
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
The scoring is not the reason it is sticking, it is just as a result of grit getting caught in the gap.

Mine did it for a while many years ago until I flushed it out with Silicone spray lube while poking a thin plastic cable-tie into the gap to help get the gritty bits out.

It has been fine since.

No need to take it all apart.
AO Member
County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

I fixed mine without taking the handle off, and the button was sticking every time i pushed it in. Just apply liberal amounts of graphite anti-seize compound to the key and insert into the lock. Turn the key a few times, remove and press the button a good few times as well to makwe sure the grease is working its way in there. Repeat till the sticking stops.

It's still a little sticky when turning the key in the lock in cold weather but at least the button never jams now.

Best of luck

Edit: If you can get some or all of the dirt out as DavidC's method that's probably even better!

Last edited by GavinH; 28-10-09 at 19:15.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , door , front , handles , sourcing