Bad throttle response. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 27-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Östergötland

Member car:

164 QV and GT

Bad throttle response.

I haven’t owned the GT V6 very long but starting to dislike it because of the bad throttle response. I’m used to my 164 QV with a very direct feeling, almost like an extension of my right foot, both in acceleration and when lifting of. I can’t believe modern Alfa’s meant to be this way.

If I, at stand still, “blip” the throttle half way to the floor I can complete this motion before I get a response from the engine. I’d say there’s more than a second delay. With a delay like this it’s for instance a total waste to “blip” the throttle to meet a down shift.
When lifting of at speed it doesn’t feel that I decide when and how much. When lifting of completely if feels like the ECU still feeds the engine with petrol.
Taking of with a cold engine I can feel a vague hesitation at low revs but not at hard acceleration and at high revs.

Some say it’s like this because of emission control but please say that yours doesn’t acting like this and perhaps what to look for.
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
That is down to the drive by wire connection, one sensor tells the EU the pedal has moved, the ECU has a brew and a tab, farts and then tells the Throttle body to shift its ****, this takes 0.2 seconds real time but it often feels like turbo lag, if you remove the resonator box from the inlet duct then it will worsen so dont do that, but to be honest it is meant to be like that.
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
welcome to the wonderful world of fly by wire throttles.

could try resetting it, see if that makes any difference
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
It shouldn't be like that.

On cars I have driven with fly by wire (Including my GTV and Bravo) if you were not told you would not know that it didn't have a cable.

I think you have another problem, maybe the potentiometer is faulty of the throttle itself.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Someone once said "A motor car is not a chainsaw" - engine management systems are seldom designed for throttle response off-idle with the car stationary So don't worry about odd characteristics when idling in neutral - delayed response may be because the ignition advance is wound right up (for emissions, as you rightly say), slow return to idle speed is also common.

I do agree though, drive-by-wire may have some interesting characteristics - sometimes in my 156 at light throttle, 4th gear/50km/h, I get the feeling of a minute loss of power, almost as though the ECU decides the throttle's so close to being closed, it may as well shut it and cut the fuel, even if the accelerator pedal hasn't moved. I don't mind that (once I began to trust that the engine hadn't died ) as it gives best economy.

Otherwise I find the response pretty snappy when it needs to be - but a lot will depend on driving style. I tend to be a bit tolerant because the Selespeed has to find 2nd before it can really be expected to take off from a T-junction/roundabout...

On an Examiner/AlfaDiag, etc. you can see the throttle plate angle and the accelerator pedal position, so you can check they are following each other properly. Also, I cleaned my throttle body - that can make everything worse for a while, but I think it is probably a good idea long-term.

Of course, I love my 164(s), so your opening struck a chord with me Just remember, no curtain airbags, rain-sensing wipers, stability control, InfoCentre, dual-zone a/c, HID headlights, or Bose sound system in the 164... If none of those things mean anything to you, maybe it's best to stick with the 164...

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 28-10-09 at 12:25.
No such issues with my FBW throttle normally, there was once though & that led to the throttle potentiometer
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 29-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Östergötland

Member car:

164 QV and GT

Thanks guys. Resetting the system very much improved the response time. Feels like a different car now. A search on this forum gave the procedure to reset the ECU. Much appreciate this community.
Still not close to my 164 but it feels like a reset halved the response time! Blipping the throttle for down shift is now possible but still a bit slow. Lifting of feels also better but I wouldn’t say I could steer with the throttle as the 164.
Next to do is to stiffen the engine torque link. Then it’s perhaps time to hock up the test instrument to see if the potentiometer or any other gismo is due for replacement but from your replies I guess not. Perhaps the ECU needs a performance upgrade. Has anyone tried it and does it improve throttle response time and, in particular, “lift-off” characteristics? It’s a 3.2 V6.
Thanks again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bad , response , throttle