156 Gearbox Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
156 Gearbox Problems

Over the past few weeks I have had the worst luck.

First I notice an oil leak coming from the casing around the cam belt so I took my car to an old school experienced mechanic that I know (The type that can build a car out of a table and a couple of biscuit tins) just to have a look he advised that the oil seals around the cam belt will need replacing but along with this it's best to replace the cam belt, does this sound right?

Something that is a bit more concerning....
A few weeks ago I noticed the car was a bit noisy but didn't think too much of it.
I mentioned this to my mechanic who did a bit of checking around and discovered that when the clutch is depressed the noise stops, from this he has basically told me that my gearbox is buggered and will need replacing, again does this sound right?

First of all, can this be left for the time being or should it be fixed immediately?

If the gearbox does need replacing is it wise to get one second hand ie scrap?
Does anybody know anywhere that does good reconditioned gearboxes?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross

Yep, to change the camshaft oil seals, you need to take the cambelt off, which means replacing the belt. Probably best to have it done, especially if oil is getting onto the belt itself.

The noise problem could well be gearbox-related, but it could also be the clutch/release bearing. Or lack of oil for that matter.

Used ones are readily available, and generally quite robust. I've got a spare one at the minute if you don't have any luck locally. My courier charges about £30 so move a gearbox.

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 27-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Cheers for the reply.

My plan is to get the oil leak done and maybe leave the rattle for a short while.
My mate has sourced a second hand gearbox off a 2000 156 that had done 76k, what should I be paying for it if I decide to get it done?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , gearbox , problems