147 Vibration - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Cork

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Hmmm 147 Vibration

My recently bought 147 ('02 with 52,000 miles) started cutting out at idle when warm while also sounding suspiciously diesel-like but there was also a strong vibration coming through the cabin (prior to cutting out).

The mechanic fixed the main problem, diagnosing it as a sticking variator inlet. The car seemed to be running fine (and the MCSF has been fine) but before long the vibration/knocking (and noise) started returning intermittently, only at idle and when the car has warmed up, but doesn't seem to be affecting the running in any other way.

Does this mean the variator is going to need replacing? It would make sense given the last owners didn't seem to give this car the attention it deserves but could there be any other cause?

If it is the variator, is this urgent given that it isn't simply a noise?
I've seen comments on vibration in other threads but none when the car isn't moving.

The oil filter seems overdue for a change, could that be a factor?

If anyone could give some advice I'd be very grateful...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

I seem to have the same problem with my 2.0l 147, when warm and idle the engine starts juddering so much that i can feel it in the cabin. Also when i looked at it first, cylinders two and 3 seem to either have overfueled or not ignited the fuel properly, resulting in the plugs being covered in thick black soot. Cylinders one and four seem fine, if not slightly lean. I wonder if thats the same problem. Did you manage to find out what the problem was?
because im wracking my brain trying to figure out what could be worng. I've have two diagnostic guys look at it and there seem to be no apparent faults on the machine.
AO Gold Member
Variator will cause a fairly distinctive diesel-like clattering, but doesn't normally produce any juddering.....

Oil filter change overdue is bad news but irrelevant to this issue.........

Could be one of the lambda sensors in the downpipe failing causing overfueling (in Kreena's case) - not sure in theowls case as the symptoms seem slightly different....
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

Thanks I swapped the lambda sensors, and the water temperature sensor because the car was also slow to warm up. Strangely the fan would kick in sometimes not letting the car go above 60 degrees after 45mins of driving! but still no luck.

Reset the ECU after the MCSF light kept appearing but didnt that seem to make a difference. Just the other day started the car and the MCSF light was gone and the car runs almost perfectly (fan still kicks in randomly though!).
Someone thinks it might be a faulty ECU, any ideas?

thanks in advance

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , vibration