Motor control system failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Normandy
Help Motor control system failure

Hi to everybody, this is my first post.

I have been driving an Alfa 147 1.9 JTD M-JET for 6 years now without any problems, infact it has been probably the most reliable car I have possessed ever.
Just recently on occasions whilst driving I receive the message several times "motor control system failure,"
it is always short lived and goes away after one or two seconds, however, one thing I notice each time I receive this message is a huge fluctuation in the temperature guage and eventually it stabilises.........the battery has been changed during the last 8 months but not with an original alfa part albeit the voltage /current ratings of the replacement battery are not dissimilar to the bosche original which failed hence the replacement. Should I replace the battery I have now with an original part, or is it likely to be something more sinister???
Just for info, I have covered some 310,000 KM since I bought the car, am I pushing my luck??

Second question, how often do the glow plugs need to be replaced?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Firstly check the battery connections are tight, secondly have the water pump and timing belt replaced as soon as possible asI suspect this will be the cause for the overheating on your JTDm.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 18-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Normandy
Thanks for the fast reply smaky,
the timing belt and water pump were both replaced at 240,000KM, here in France the alfa dealer recommends changing the belt every 80,000KM, however, the alfa manual states every 120,000miles? seems to be some disparity in these distances. Based on the above, it will be due for a new belt in 10,000KM, but of course I'll have it looked at for piece of mind, incidently do you think the integrity of the battery to be ok?
AO Member
County: Norfolk
we had a similar problem with out 156 jtd. in the end we replaced the dash top display, been ok since, touch wood
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey
Best bet would be to get the error codes read to pin point where the problem lies ... as for the glowplugs I think they only get replaced when they break ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , failure , motor , system