New Cambelt, Wishbones and Service - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
New Cambelt, Wishbones and Service

My 156 Veloce 2.0 TS went into Jamie Porters yesterday.

New Cambelt, service, and both upper wishbones replaced. (600 inc VAT cash paid)

I bought the car from 112,000 miles and there was no record of the cambely being changed at 108,000 so thought it best to get it done.

They advised the Radiator is starting to weap and front pads are getting low.....

quoted 275 for the Rad and 120 for the pads........does this sound ok people? cant afford to get those done at this time.

Also I borrowed a courtesy car which was an older 2.0 TS........and it seemed so much more pokyer at lower revs than mine.........Jamie said it was most likely cos the courtesy car gets ragged.....and said the only real thing is it could be my MAF meter on its way out? any ideas anyone?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Well, at least yours can be 'ragged' more now that it's had it's cambelt replaced

Mine is a similar story, performance at the low end a bit sluggish, haven't had the guts to take it over 3000RPM with the cambelt being overdue, probably by some margin. And with my busted thermostat, the temperature gauge doesn't even register. Can't wait to get the thermostat and cambelt replaced (hopefullly next week if I can get some cam locks) so I can take it over 3000RPM when it's properly warm, new set of plugs too as the current plugs are well-worn... should start to burn off excess carbon (as has probably happened for the courtesy car you mentioned!)

I can understand getting someone else to do the cambelt, but I really think you should replace your radiator and brake pads yourself... I just don't trust other people to work (or not-work) on brakes any more - one car I bought had new pads fitted to too-small discs, so the edges of the pads overhanging the disc didn't wear, and eventually the pads touched each other (meaning, no brakes and a very firm pedal). Another car had a rear pad fitted backwards (metal side against the disc...) Both those jobs done by 'qualified' technicians...

On the other hand, I don't know how to test a hot-wire or hot-film MAF... I have an oscilloscope (don't you? ) but I'm not sure how to simulate loaded-engine airflow and what voltages should result. That is a case where it's worth paying someone who knows what they're doing. Or, perhaps someone can help us out on this thread...

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 14-10-09 at 09:10.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cambelt , service , wishbones