alfa 147 1.6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 13-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Londonderry

Member car:

alfa 147 1.6

im thinking to get 147 1.6 but when i ask my mates they sey alfa romeo always breaksdown and theres always problem with it but i love the im in love with alfa 147 lol.
do you guys think i shuld buy it or not im not sure can you please help.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Don't get taken in by the "Alfas always breakdown" brigade they are no less reliable than other motors out there However don't just go out and buy the first one you see either do your homework on the specs and be very insistent on checking the service history especially cam belts.

Good luck with the search.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

as turismo says and for what its worth ive had mine for 2 and a half years and spent loads upgrading it but not fixing it ! go for it mate
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
Originally Posted by alfa-kml View Post
do you guys think i shuld buy it or not
I'm not sure our advice is truly helpful as most on here will say get one.

However the key tjings IMO are

has it been looked after properly by the previous owner?

service stamps, cambelt done on time, decent branded tyres on it

who is going to look after it?

if you have a decent indy in your area then great, if not, they can be a bit troublesome as general garages will lack the tools, equipment and know how to keep your bella in top form

so buy well and you can shove your mates words down their collective throats

but buy badly and they will have 'told you so'.

Everyone on here was doubtless advised by their mates that Alfa are unreliable sheds, however most are glad to have ignored them.
AO Member
Yeah go for it!

You have a reasonably sympathetic credit card
You don't mind starting each journey with the niggling thought that something's gonna break
You have access to a knowledgeable mechanic/local garage

Only joking (a bit)

You gotta love your Alfa through thick and thin 'cos it will frustrate you from time to time, but hey it's your Alfa!

I've looked through other manufacturer owner sites and it seems to me that every one has its list of problems some much worse than Alfa.
I've had my 147 for nearly 4 years now and I've gone through most of the problems along other owners but still love mostly 'cos of its looks!

My next car will definitely be another Alfa - hopefully a 147 GTa, but probably a MiTo in a few years!

As mentioned in the other post - do your research thoroughly, know what goes wrong, know what the likely cost of repair is.

Good luck

Toucha my car... I smasha your face

I should have gone. I didn't go. I went. I came back. Now I'm here. That's it. There is no more. Now I must go again.

01010111 01100001 01101001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 01100110 01101111 01110010 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110000
AO Member
8 years in a 147 and no regrets - reliable, YES! Expensive to run, YES! But styling and driving pleasure...worth every penny. But remember, it's a car for the enthusiast.
County: Wiltshire
10 years I've had my 146, in that time it's been off the road for a grand total of 11 hours, the reason is documented in the 146/145 lounge and is totally my own fault as it was an experiment on ho long a cambelt CAN last when you drive the car as it is meant to be (the resut was 9 years 2 months and 104K miles).
AO Member
County: Kent
How many alfas have your mates had between them none i bet go for it
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

i changed to an Alfa 147 last year and i will be staying with Alfa from now on, great drive and great looks. Once you've driven a few you will get the bug. Like every car if you keep on top of the servicing you wont have a problem
AO Silver Member
I have owned nothing but Alfas for 20+ years, all quite well used and cheapies, until the last pair (2.0 156 Velocé Sele & 2.0 147 Lusso).

My old 75 refused to start one day so didnt get me home due to a poor electrical connection to the fuel pump.

My current 147 threw a fan belt at work and just for safety (Fanbelt, cam belt, BIG woes!) I got the AA to get it home for me so that the Mobile Indie I use could fix it (He HAD warned me!).

So my Alfas have failed to get me home twice in over twenty years.

I think that's not too bad reliability for a bunch of elderly cheapies!

AO Member
County: Hampshire
Go on get one what have you got to lose !
I say go for it but make sure its had cambelt done on right intervals and that it has been looked after i/e not spanked. Most people who say Alfa's go wrong no sorry all people who say Alfa's go wrong normally drive tin pot cars and dont care much for them either. Us good people love our cars and keep them in top condition as I have owned my 156 now for 3 years and not had any problems but I have spent money on it to keep it in top condition by buying better tyres replacing wishbones etc. I hope you get it and it brings you joy
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

Go for it! When i got my 147 everyone told me it will break down and all the jokes were coming aswel. Eachtime my friends saw a recovery truck they would say that it would be my ride home! BOY THEY WERE WRONG! Never had an issue with my 2.0 147 had it 4 years now 73k on the clock done 53k my self. Cambelt is issential must be done! Alfa romeo have now changed it form 62k miles to evry 35k miles so make sure it has been done sometime in its life. Service stamps are also essential. Dont buy the first one you see check over thouroughly. And check the back box on the exhaust they seem to rust quick if the owner doesent care for it. Not every one washes and waxes their alfa every week like me. Think to your self is there any other better looking hatch back? ford focus? peguot 408? vaxhaul astra? bmw 1 series? the list goes on of cars that fall behind the 147 in style and performance. i quote msmangosi 'worth every penny'! You will fall in love and wont want to buy any other make of car again just like most people on here have! i know im getting another alfa for sure!

Jeremy clarkson once said. You are no a true petrol head til you have owned a Alfa Romeo. very true! An Alfa Romeo is a proper car!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa