147 JDTM Cold Start Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 JDTM 16v

147 JDTM Cold Start Problems

HI guys,

Long term reader first time poster.

I currently own a 04 147 JDTM 16v which is a absolute joy to drive. Lately with the weather turning colder I have fouond that it takes a while to start up (today for the first time it didn't, very very cold this morning though!!). When it does start up there is a little bit of smoke from the exhaust (I've alsways thought just the excess diesel pumped in on starting but please enlighten me if wrong).

Once it starts everything is fine drives perfectly and restarts first time from then on. The only time I have a problem is when left over night it struggles to start first thing.

So basically looking for some advice, is this normal? is there anything I can do to help/stop this happening(apart from getting up at 1 in the morning and giving the car a run!!!!). Any ideas if this could be the start of a bigger problem?

Many thanks for any help offered

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Zürich

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

i believe it is normal that a diesel engine will start late when cold, as the fuel is ignited only with the pressure without help of spark plugs. That's why some diesels have glow plugs, which heat up during start to make the initial start easier. They can fail over time, and cause the more difficult cold start and smoke. They are supposed to be easy to change and not that expensive.
Don't you have any warnings like 'Error Glow Plugs' on the dash display?
AO Member
County: Kent
OK, I'm resurrecting an old thread but I've noticed a similar situation with my 147 JTDm 8v.

I bought the car at 1 year old and for the first year the car started fine, even in cold weather, even starting from cold, the engine only turned once before starting - regular as clockwork.

Since the summer I have noticed that the engine turns longer and longer before starting but only when starting from cold. This last week the engine has been turning 4-5 times before starting.

The 2 year service was done when it should have been. This problem started about a month to 6 weeks after the service.

Final info, approx 90% of journeys are short, under 5 miles. She only gets a longer run maybe once a week.

I originally thought the fuel filter might be the cause (even though it should have been changed during the service), didn't think about the glow plugs. I always thought glow plugs should last longer than a couple of years?

Any other ideas (or confirmation that it's the glow plugs) will be most welcome. I'm not sure if I should drop her into the dealer and explain, I still have 9 months warranty but not sure if glow plugs are covered by it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , cold , jdtm , problems , start