Is loving his new
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Just bought 147 JTD - Have some questions
I purchased a 147 JTD 1.9 8v (03)... posted about the mileage couple of days back. Having driven close to 300 miles in the last 3 days, I had a few questions about taking care of it and driving a diesel car
1) How long does a diesel need to be warmed up in the morning before driving it? In the mornings the drive isnt as smooth till it hits 70-80 degrees celcius, so should I be waiting till then before I drive off with it? The on board oil reading says it is has plenty of oil.
2) When I turn the car on, there is a rattle and it does seem like it is struggling a little compared to something like a 1.6 litre petrol Astra for example. Is this anything I need to worry about or is it a characteristic of diesels?
3) When I finish driving, does the car need a couple of minutes to cool down before turning off?
4) Suspension - squeaks/creaks. No mention of replacements for the suspension on the service history. I know this is a hotly debated topic for the 147. Should I get it checked out or wait for the next service at 72k? Currently has 67k on it and was serviced at 60k and 66k.
5) Back rattle/tinny sounds at 1500-1000 revs when I take foot off the accelerator and the revs decline. I can only hear this if the car is stationary and the window is open.
Does any of the above seem like I should get the car looked at before my serious mileage begins or should it be okay till the 72k service seeing it has had two recent services and an MOT done 2 months ago?
Thanks for you help guys!