buying 147 : steering leak & rattle please help!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

buying 147 : steering leak & rattle please help!!!

just been looking at 51plate 1.6 147 lusso 90,000 on clock almost complete history . on for £1950.
I know thats top price . the car is overall very tidy but do have some haggling points already ( tyres, cracked lens, water damage to upholstery etc ) . hoping to get down nearer £1500 mark

What concerns me the most is that there is a leak of a very clear oil under the front left arch, and also when i took it for test drive there was a faint clunking/rattling sound from front left dash area.
I understand that these (147's) have problems with corroshion on the power steering pipe clips and guessed the leak might be this : how much will it cost me to rectify this approx ...???
also any ideas on the clunking/rattle .. im sure it could be alot of things .

Having mechanic look at it for second viewing , but need idea of parts cost etc

many thanksk in advance
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Talk him down to £1300 maximum, the clunking will be the ARB bushes which is £200 to sort and the leak of clear fluid from under the lh wheel arch will be brake fluid from either the brake line or clutch, if the clutch bite was low then your probaly into clutch problems £300 minimum if it's the slave, for a brake pipe then around £50 at a cheap garage (and get them to do both sides at once). BTW steering fluid is red, so it's not that.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 04-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hey .. thanks for the help ... just a couple more questions:
* any way of determing whether brake or clutch line ? ( both same colour oil i gather ? )
* how do i determine a low ' clutch bite ' ? sorry if i sound clueless! haha
* had its cam done at 60 i think when will i need to next change cam + variator ? and at approx cost
* any other problems to check for ?

many thanks !
p.s was going to buy a 'sensible' car, happened to see this in my price range and fallen for the 147 and alfas in general .. against most friends insistance that its a bad idea !
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

brera 2.4d

If your cam belt was done at 60k then you're not far off needing it done again. The original recomended interval was reduced to 36,000 s few years ago. It will cost you £300 or so + variator (if needed at about £95--I think).
The oil leak could be gear oil if it's just been renewed i.e. if the owner has to keep re-filling it. Easy to tell it has a very distinctive sweet sickly smell. Brake/clutch fluid is virtually clear only slightly thicker than water. Very faint 'spirity' smell.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buying , leak , rattle , steering