156 smoking..... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
jay w
156 smoking.....

recently i have noticed that my 156 has started to smoke when the throttle is applied after the car has been on over-run, that tells me it is piston rings.....

i have recently replaced the rear main oil seal and it still appears to be leaking for there are the joint between the engine and gearbox is wet still with new oil...

now the head i have is a good one, so i am planning to get a CF1 bottom end and rebuilding it with my CF3 head, i have heard so many stories about CF3 pistons being more troublesome hence the reason for the CF1

will the CF3 head go on the CF1 engine with no issues?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Stop Smoking Helpline - 0800 022 4332
jay w
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
Stop Smoking Helpline - 0800 022 4332
:tongue: very funny

Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

I was about to say that the problem is usually the left hinge on the ashtray - the strong torsion spring causes the very-thin element of plastic to break. Just flick the ash out of the window instead

But seriously, I think if there is blue smoke after over-run, it's far more likely to be the valve guides/valve seals than it is the rings. Worn rings will deliver lots of smoke at all times, but especially on steady, continuous acceleration. I think you should rebuild the head first (i.e. decoke and replace seals) rather than think too much about the bottom end yet. Maybe do a compression test. Put ATF in the bores and turn the engine over a few times to clean/reseat the rings if it really does seem the rings are worn out. I guess you'll know all these tricks.

As for oil leaking from the rear main seal, what a bugger... Still, every time I've had similar problems on other engines, it's turned out to be a leak from higher up and oil running down to APPEAR to leak from the main seal. I've certainly replaced main seals and even sump gaskets with no improvement, only to find it was a leak from the corner of a head gasket, or a faulty oil filter, etc.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
jay w
thanks for the tips there, i'll get the ashtray hinge sorted next week

the rear main seal is getting on my nerves, i replaced it when the clutch was done, followed the instructions to the letter as well. I have washed the underside of the car and the block, we can't see an oil trace running down the block and it only seems to be in the bellhousing area as well
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

hi mate, sorry i missed your call the other day, if you still want the headlights then give me an email. sorry ive still not got my phone sorted but the lights are yours for £15 if you still want them. ive got a bottom end too which we can chat about if you come round. and if it smokes blue smoke when you floor the car its piston rings (compression test will confirm) if you drive down a hill with the wheels driving the engine and as you accelerate away then there is smoke thats valve stem seals... ive got those too.

but drop me an email re lights

speak soon
County: Wiltshire
Oil from the gearbox/engine join could be from the balance shaft seals, crank end seal of the rocker cover and leaking down, the rocker cover is the obvious one to spot, but I have seen this before where it was actually the gearbox main seal and the mainshaft bearing had let go (funnily enough on a sele too).

The smoking is most likely the inlet manifold gasket, oil will be going from the variator channels straight into the #1 intake or if it's white then you have a dead lambda.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , smoking