More torque -- swapping 1.6 T.S for 2.0 T.S - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

More torque -- swapping 1.6 T.S for 2.0 T.S

Hey people

I've still got my Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 (120bhp). I've done a bit of work to her -- new 17" alloy wheels, KW coilover suspension upgrade, supersprint exhaust etc -- and am pleased with the results. It still manages to put a smile on my face and i like the fact that Alfa Romeos are actually quite exclusive in my area due to a serious scarcity of Alfa garages.

However, it's quite well-known that the 1.6 T.S has very little "get up and go" in the lower rev range. If you let it scream it's a great little engine and plenty of fun; but when not letting it scream, it can feel a little wanting in torque.

I've become curious about the 2.0 T.S engine of late. The extra torque produced would be quite a welcome feature.

I've found a few companies that fit "reconditioned" T.S engines and have been thinking about the possibility of swapping my 1600 T.S for the 2 litre. I am yet to contact the companies in question about it but i thought i'd post a thread here first to see if anyone here has any experiance with it.

Is it a straight forward swap with little or no complications? Can i keep the 1.6 T.S gearbox? Will the clutch or ECU need replacing?

My first job really is to take a test drive in a 2.0 T.S model to see if it is really worth it at all; but any thoughts or experience to lend would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Devon
I have recently changed from a 156 2.0TS to a 1.8TS 156. I am quite surprised how much I notice the loss of 15bhp. You will certainly notice the jump from 1.6 to 2.0
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

156 V6

the ecu should beable to work ok with the 2.0.. There not a huge difference- a remap would be good tho

as far as i know its just a swap.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
proving you dont have the 105BHP version it should be fine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

swapping , torque