1.6 156 overheating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.6TS

1.6 156 overheating

Got a 1.6 156 about a 3 weeks ago and immediately changed thermostat as it was stuck open. Now I think I made a bit of a mistake with the gasket sealant as there was a small leak around the housing. The car was running fine and heating and cooling as it should but using a lot of coolant but I just kept topping up with water as I knew I'd be sorting it soon. This was on the to do list for this weekend (remove, reseal and refit the stat).

This week though, things changed in that the car began to run very hot (not quite overheat to the point the red light came on, but getting there). The stat would only seem to open if I floored it which seemed a bit odd, and the coolant was no longer being leaked. Also, as the car heats up (even past where the stat should open) the hot air blower only blows cold, but when the stat opens and allows the engine to cool, the air gets hot. It then steadily cools until the engine temp is way up and its blowing cold air again. Its at this point that I'm stuck in traffic, allowing a big enough gap open up so I can floor it in first to try and somehow force the stat open. (I must look like a right knob!) I've tried just revving at a standstill but that doesn't have any effect.

At the moment I'm hoping that the re-sealing of the thermostat and a flush and bleed of the cooling circuit will sort me out, but I'm afraid it might also be something like a water pump failure? Anyone got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
1.6 156 Overheating

Don't rule out the radiator. How old is your car? Have a look at the cooling veins have they gone green and look all cruddy? My V6 156 would actually start to get hot doing 70mph and when I slowed down it cooled down? Because the rad was partially clogged it couldn't cope with the increase flow so would 'back up' hot coolant. That might explain the heating anomalies your experiencing.

If its a new stat from a reliable supplier you would have been very unlucky to have got a dud, so I'm not to sure it is the stat failing to open. A flush might do it but I think a new rad would be a more permanent fix. Could be a water pump but I don't know if the TS engine has the plastic or metal impellar. If it's plastic you could be right as the fins apparently break off. If its due for cambelt change you can do them all at once. Anyway good luck with it.
this is being discussed here already have a gander

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.6TS

Just to let people know, in case someone has the same problem. I re-sealed the stat and flushed/re-filled with water and a bit of coolant I had at the weekend. don't want my hard-earned cash ******* out of my engine in the form of new coolant! Monitoring the level this week to make sure all seals ok and no leaks. Presuming everything is ok, come saturday I'll be re-flushing and re-filling with correctly mixed coolant.

Another job done

So far the list has been:
Engine light on - stat changed
engine light on - throttle potentiometer connection cleaned
Chased my tail around the car looking for a blown bulb - found the number plate bulbs when washing it!
Not bad considering I got an '01 156 for €900 (75k miles)

Still to do:
Replace cracked skirt on pass. side and re-fix driver side
The radio reception
Compound the bonnet, theres a big faded patch in the middle.
Stone chips/small scrapes here and there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , overheating