Thinking of changing oil on my 2.4 JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Thinking of changing oil on my 2.4 JTD

Year 2001 10 valve 140 bhp engine.

Couple of questions please.

1) How much oil do I need?

2) Might change gearbox oil at the same time - is this fairly straight forward? And how much oil do I need for this, and what kind of oil?

3) Any links to 'How to....' articles?

cheers all
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wiltshire
Oil change is straight forward enough, getting the oil filter out can be a pain if you don't have the cup that fits over the filter as it's in an awkward position. If you've got the bonnet up, it's tucked away to the left hand side of the downpipe from the turbo, but you can only access it from underneath the car. It'll be worthwhile getting a new sump plug & washer too. I think it's 5.5 litres for the engine.

The gearbox oil is also fairly easy again, but you need to take out the battery to get to the fill point on the gearbox. Battery out is 13mm bolt to remove the retainer plate(and strap if you have one) to the left of the battery, after removing the pos/neg. You can then take out the battery and battery plastic tray. This should then expose 4 x 10mm bolts on the tray, 2 at the front, 2 at the back. Take this out which should drop the airbox bracket at the front of the tray and the fuse/relay holder at the back of the tray. There are then 4 x 13mm bolts holding tray to the inner wing, take these out, then the whole tray should come out exposing the gearbox. Easy from there to do. I think the gearbox is around 2 litres.

Good luck.

(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 29-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Thanks Mark -

Does the gearbox have it's own 'sump' plug? Do you know what kind of oil I should use in the gearbox, and does it have it's own dipstick?

I wish there was a Haynes book for these cars!!!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Yes it does and it is near the diff. if you look under the car its at the lowest point on the box. Its an allen key. Either 8 or 10mm, can't remember. It will say in the back of your owners manual what to use. If no ones told you by tonight when I get home i'll look it up for you but you can use castrol syntrax. As for the level the hole where you fill it up from is the marker its about half way up the the box and is also an allen fitting. Drop the car back on the floor and make sure its on level ground top it up until the oil come out that hole. that is the level mark.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
AO Silver Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

You will be able to find the oils you need by looking it up here Car Engine Oils

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

changing , jtd , oil , thinking