Engine sometimes wont turn off even with the key out! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Engine sometimes wont turn off even with the key out!

ive done some searches about this and havent found anything maybe i am being blind, however, i parked up from getting back from bournemouth did the normal way i turn the car off key right round then pull it out as i got out the car i realised the car was still running but trying to turn itself off, so i put the key back it and turned it on and off then it turned off any ideas why this happened?

Sponsored Links
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire
AO Member
County: Essex
perhaps its..
short in the ignition switch...
or given it's a diseisel.... cut-off solenoid not doing its job.... (assumes here J = deisel?)

its a 2.0 jts petrol engine
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sounds to me like old fashion pre-ignition Have a read below, copied from Wikipedia.

Pre-ignition (or preignition) in a spark-ignition engine is a technically different phenomenon from engine knocking, and describes the event wherein the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder ignites before the spark plug fires. Pre-ignition is initiated by an ignition source other than the spark, such as hot spots in the combustion chamber, a spark plug that runs too hot for the application, or carbonaceous deposits in the combustion chamber heated to incandescence by previous engine combustion events.

The phenomenon is also referred to as after-run, or run-on when it causes the engine to carry on running after the ignition is shut off, or sometimes dieseling. This effect is more readily achieved on carbureted gasoline engines, as the fuel supply to the carburetor is typically regulated by a passive mechanical float valve and fuel delivery can feasibly continue until fuel line pressure has been relieved, provided the fuel can be somehow drawn past the throttle plate. The occurrence is rare in modern engines with throttle-body or electronic fuel injection, as the injectors will not be permitted to continue delivering fuel after the engine is shut off, and any occurrence may indicate the presence of a leaking (failed) injector.

In the case of highly supercharged or high compression multi-cylinder engines particularly ones that use methanol (or other fuels prone to preignition) preignition can quickly melt or burn pistons since the power generated by other still functioning pistons will force the overheated ones along no matter how early the mix preignites. many an engine have suffered such failure where improper fuel delivery is present. often one injector may clog while the others carry on normally allowing mild detonation in one cylinder that leads to serious detonation, then preignition.

Preignition and engine knock both sharply increase combustion chamber temperatures. Consequently, either effect increases the likelihood of the other effect occurring, and both can produce similar effects from the operator's perspective, such as rough engine operation or loss of performance due to operational intervention by a powertrain-management computer. For reasons like these, a person not familiarized with the distinction might describe one by the name of the other. Given proper combustion chamber design, preignition can generally be eliminated by proper spark plug selection, proper fuel/air mixture adjustment, and periodic cleaning of the combustion chambers.

Hope it helped

Always in the sh*t, just the depth that varies
good job its going to be a warranty fix i dont want to get involved if its gonna be a costly repair

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , key , turn