Alternator or something else? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDm 16v

Alternator or something else?

I was hoping i could get a second opinion on this...

My 147 JTD had its 72000 mile service 2 weeks ago and some other work (new auxillary belt and power steering pump) As they changed the auxillary belt they found that one of the pulley bolts had sheered and to get it out they had to lower the engine out of the bottom of the car slightly.

The day i got it back the boot open light started going mad, it flashes and beeps on and off constantly while i drive. All the dashboard and exterior lights started flickering constantly too.
I went back to the garage who say the voltage on the battery is jumping around most likely due to the voltage regulator being broken so i need a new alternator.

It seems abit strange that it would brake as soon as they finished do the work, i was wondering if they might have disturbed some wires when moving the engine that are now shorting out somewhere? (read that this has caused a few electrical gremlins before)

Also the problems stop when the handbrake is on or just the ignition, any ideas would be great....

Oh yeah its seems the go away (or at least does it less) when i go over 2000rpm too, and the batery is variating between 14 and 15.5 volts

Last edited by jettryda; 27-09-09 at 13:28. Reason: forgot somethin
Sponsored Links
does sound like the alternator

as to whether the garage is liable for the damage, well you could ask them, i doubt you'll get anywhere with it but if thats what you believe then dont use them again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT