Performance issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Devon

Member car:

1999 156 2.0 TS

Performance issue

Hi all, first post n all.

I have been using the tips in the forums for a couple of months now after buying a 156 2.0 TS and it has helped me immensely to understand noises and general things to look out for on a 156. But one still eludes me and I apologise if this sounds like a common fault. I have looked at the flat spotting posts and anything performance related and there are many answers. So if I may I'll post my problem.

My car isn't flat spotting at the huge ranges that I see in other flat spotting posts or at all a huge loss of power. It's just slightly juddery/not alot happening from the 1800-2800 rpm mark, 2200rpm the most noticable. It's the rpm range where you do your sensible round town driving. It's just annoying. It just seems to not have an amazing amount of oomph. Soon as it hits just under 3000 of course the car is off and it will redline. It just doesn't seem to be the same problem of flatspotting in other posts where the car literally dies at 3000+ or alot higher in the rev range

Now, I have noticed that the MAF has been replaced. Though I notice that the part number ends in 19 and not 09 like a car of my age (1999) should be. I've been reading lots and can't figure out whether the MAF ending in 19 is for later models (post 2002) only or it will work fine with a 1999 model, if at all this is the problem. I have been driving it around for about 4 months and the MAF. Also I noticed that the airbox had 2 bolts missing leaving a large gap for air to bypass the filter. I've screwed this closed now with a new filter.

Without replacing every sensor and guessing between similarities with other posts I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks to all who's posts I've read. Good site

Sponsored Links
you need to plug it in to diag

could also be the lambda sensor

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

issue , performance