Key Fob Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Key Fob Problem

One of my keys seems to have been "wiped" of all information. Went to get in the car in Saturday night, pressed the unlock/lock button on the fob.....nothing. Just assumed the battery had run down so gained access the old fashioned way by putting the key in the lock and unlocking the door. The alarm, as expected, sounded but I was okay as I assumed when I put the key in the ignition this would turn off the alarm.....nothing again. Got myself a replacement battery from the supermarket, whose car park I was in, inserted it in the key fob...still nothing. Can't unlock the doors, won't turn off the alarm. In the end I had to drive the 25 miles home with the alarm and hazards on, although it did give activating after about 10 miles. Got home opened the door and the alarm goes off again, ran in the house to get my spare which works fine. So to cut to the chase does anyone have an idea of what's happened and how I can get my key working again. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Well the key still works in the car so the chip in the key is ok. And your other key works the alarm properly so the alarm in the car isn't broken. First things first. check for simple probs first. 1. Is the battery in the right way? 2. what are the contact to the battery like? rusty, bent etc could just be that they need cleanin up or bending back so they contact. If this is all fine then you can assume a board fault. This could be something as simple as the switch has come unsoldered from the board. If you take the key apart you might be able to see the problem. Does the boot release still work on the broken key?

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 21-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Joss, I'll have a check on the battery contacts, have tried the battery in both ways but still not working. The boot release isn't working either. You're info on the chip working okay is some relief as I thought the whole thing might be away and a remortgage might be needed for a new key...although I guess it may come to that yet!! I'll get on to your checks when I get home.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fob , key , problem