Bit of a weird 156 climate control question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Bit of a weird 156 climate control question

I have a 55 reg 16 valve 156 and have some strange goings on with my climate control. Under normal driving, both the aircon and heating seems to work fine so not a major problem I'm sure.

I have noticed on colder mornings that I can't use the fast demist function until I have driven for a couple of miles at which point it seems to kick in. Having discovered this I then became the weird bit......I get a strange squeaking noise that seems to only happen when I go over bumpy sections of road. This also seems to happen when just the normal climate settings are in use. After a couple of miles or so, the aircon or fast demist comes on and the squeaking stops. It's very hard to describe the noise but it seems to be coming from behind the dash and coincides with the normal creaking you would expect when going over a rough piece of road.

If I start the car with the whole climate system off, I can then turn it on straight away but still get the squeaking for a similar period of time.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Although not a major problem now it will be a pain with the onset of winter when I like to start the car 5 minites before leaving for work to defrost/demist.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Don't think the fast demist for the front screen kicks in until the engine has warmed up a bit as it uses warm air to demist. I just turn the fan to full on mine rather than wait for it to warm up.

No idea on the noise - possibly something in the dash creaking as it's cold?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Thanks for the reply CraigM.

If you are right, then if I start the car with the climate switched completely off and then turn on the fast demist it does kick in, surely it shouldn't if the engine has only started? Also, the squeaking is definitely related because it stops when the fast demist kicks if it's switched on from start up. I wonder if it;s a problem with the compressor?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , bit , climate , control , question , weird