MOT query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

MOT query

Evening all

More of a general question:

My 156's MOT is up 13th October......I have a test date 5th October....if it fails,do I still have a valid MOT certificate until 13th ?

Surprisingly the DVLA in Belfast were reassuring!

Anyone have the definitive answer?
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire

But in reality an MOT certificate is invalid as soon as you start the car again after the test as it will all have chaged condition again. The MOT is a test of the car in that moment, who's to say something doesn't fail as soon as the car is out of the test???
AO Gold Member
As usual with Government rules......a bit of a grey area.....

If it fails that will be recorded on the VOSA computer (On the mainland, at least - not sure about NI) - so technically you are shown as having no MOT - but you do have a certificate showing a later expiry I think it would be an awkward copper who tried to prosecute you.

Of course if you were to get a failure where it said that in the tester's opinion the vehicle was dangerous to be used, you could be prosecuted for having an unroadworthy vehicle.......

Tricky, really

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
If the garage that tests the car finds that the vehicle is unroadworthy (i.e. dangerous), they are supposed to refuse to allow you to take it away. This happened to me years ago with a Sierra with a jammed brake caliper

If they let you take the car away and you have time left on your MOT certificate you should be OK.
I actually asked VOSA that question. The answer is that your MoT is valid until the expiry date. You could, however, theoretically be prosecuted for any faults the car has. As the system even shows what those faults are now it wouldn't be that hard to do.

The key piece of information I don't have is what the ANPR system shows for cars with a valid MoT but a failure under their belt.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

mot , query